You can type here any text you want

78 LeSabre Sport Coupe 3.8L Turbo

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

davemoberg

A little help please....I'm old and my brain doesn't keep info like it used to. Here just a few weeks ago I was searching all the Buick turbo links I could find looking for info on my LeSabre. I ran across a site that had the spark control box and numerous other must-have NOS parts so I can shine up my engine bay. I had bookmarked the site but now I can't find the link anywhere. I'd have sworn I found the parts via the before-black site. Any help finding the parts again would be much appreciated. I'm putting the motor back together this weekend and I'd like to replace a few parts, not just the spark control module. I know these parts are hard to find and I'm kicking myself in the rear bumper for losing the info. Anyone else seen these parts for sale? Let me know. Thanks in advance, Dave 210-326-2000 San Antonio, TX

What are you looking for? I still have most of my Carb turbo stuff from my 78 Lesabre sitting in a couple of totes. Even have my original upper radiator hose that's date coded 4 25 78.

Any NOS or good used parts

Thanks for the quick reply Brad. I'd buy any parts or pieces you don't need. This baby has a quadrajet on it that seems to be functional-I won't know till I get it back together. I'd like to replace the rigid (pre-shaped) fuel and oil lines if you have any that are salvageable. Priorities are in this order:
1- turbo control module (mounts on fan shroud)
2- knock sensor
3- four port vacuum switch
4- four port (female) vacuum hose for the EGR system
5- exhaust and intake manifolds (surprise? the originals are cracked)
6- any/all rigid pre-shaped oil or fuel lines
7- hub centers (3 shield Buick motor) for the original ttype rims
8- hood ornament (same-3 shield Buick)
9- anything else you may have for the 78 quadrajet fed 3.8L turbo (whatcha got?) Give me a list of stuff you'd be willing to part with. I'll take that radiator hose and anything else. Contact me offline and I can negotiate and arrange payment/shipment.

Obviously, the turbo control module is the biggie along with the knock sensor but I'll have to get everything else sooner or later. Any sources out there for working or NOS parts? When I tore this thing down it was "running" but didn't sound too healthy. Seems every vacuum line and connection was dry-rotted or brittle to the touch. I'm hoping the turbo control module still works but I want a new one - just in case. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

I'll have to take a look this weekend, I don't get home until late these days(I'm a UPS driver) and these thing are out in the storage shed. Also, I do have one NOS passenger side "3.8 Litre Turbo" fender badge for a 78 Lesabre that I can spare(I actually have 3 so I can spare 1) if interested. Sorry I can only come up with one side, that's the way it goes when trying to find NOS parts for some of these cars. You take what you can get. I'll need 50 for the emblem. The turbo control module still worked, I suppose 20 for that. Vacuum switches you can have if still good. Manifolds I know are good, you say the intake is cracked? weird. Intake and exhaust are all good, no broken studs. Why don't you give me a ring and we'll talk. I'll pm my phone #

If you are going to replace all that stuff, I'd consider swapping to 1979 & later heads and manifolds. The '78 V6 used low port heads.

I believe wheelvintiques.com sells new caps and rallies. I'm pretty sure its repo stuff, cool site though. Gbodyparts or PostonBuick might have NOS. Your intake is cracked? Sure you don't mean the plenum?

Hi, just to clarify. I took the heads in to the machine shop and they found a crack between the intake and exhaust valves on the #3 cylinder. I found a set of heads with the same casting number in Biloxi, MS for $80 - so I took them to the machine shop for a valve job and they are in great shape. I've put the motor back together and now I'm doing the search thing trying to locate some of the vacuum switches, TCS, turbo control module, etc. Brad has a manual I'd like to buy, that would be most handy. Any other parts/pieces I can find I'll buy - for spares if nothing else. I have one good head, already milled and valves done. I guess I'll keep it for a spare but I'd wheel and deal with anyone who will trade parts. I'm not interested in selling as much as I am in buying. Thanks in advance for the help. I'm gonna check out the wheelvintiques.com lead to see if I can find the hub covers/hood ornament. See ya

I'll give you a shout tomorrow, been busy this week catching up on my Shelby Charger I'm converting to reardrive with a SC3800,T-5.

Here's a pic

I'm having much fun trying to get this old beast going again. Figured I'd post this pic so you guys can see this thing. It's a big beast-but so were all the cars we had in the mid-early 70's. This is a "before" photo - as you can see the body is straight and pretty clean. I haven't seen any rust yet. I picked this one up in San Antonio, TX. More to come, see ya.

Attachments

• Lesabre before 0029.jpg
    Lesabre before 0029.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 249
Nice. :) I like the blue.

The LeSabre wheels are different than the Regal's. The bolt pattern is different. Regal/Skylark wheels have a seem between the center section and "hoop". The LeSabre is a 5x5 pattern (I think).

Nice. :)
The LeSabre wheels are different than the Regal's. The bolt pattern is different. Regal/Skylark wheels have a seem between the center section and "hoop". The LeSabre is a 5x5 pattern (I think).

Two different types of Rally wheels used on those B-bodies. And they both look like those one piece dish wheels as pictured. One is 5x5 and the other is 5X4.75. The easy way to tell is if the wheel studs are 1/2 than it's 5X5...and they should have 11" drums on the back. Now if by chance it has the 4 wheel disc brakes than it is the bigger 5X5 pattern. The cars with the smaller 4.75 pattern always have 7/16 wheel studs and 9.5" drums. The big difference is that those 71-80's vintage Rallys are all 15". If you run across a two piece Buick Rally and it's 15" than it is off a 60's to 1977 A-body with the 4.75 bolt pattern.

the turbo coupes are 5 on 5 and use the 12" rotors with the heavy duty suspension and quick ratio steering.

and you're going to want to get some hood insulation on it because the turbo and exhaust will eventually start to take it's toll on the paint directly above it, It is very nice though.

Call me about the parts, How's 250 for everything including the manual? If you want the right side NOS Turbo 3.8 Litre fender badge that'll be another 50. plus shipping. Tell me what you don't need to help save weight on shipping.

Back