You can type here any text you want

'78 N/A 231 into '83 Regal?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

widge

I picked up what is supposedly a '78 231 that was in a Monza (originally the Monza had the small v8, that blew up or something, was replaced by an iron duke, which was blown up by the previous owner and replaced by this one... confusing, huh?), and I want to use it to replace the blown n/a 3.8 in my '83 (it spun a bearing, doh. previous owner ran it for an undetermined amount of time with... no oil).

I got the engine for free, so it won't be too heart-breaking if it doesn't work, but from what I can tell from sites like gnttype.org, the only things that have changed are the rear boss for the knock sensor, and valve guide seal sizes, so I figured I'd try.

Anybody know anything specific things I should worry about? Also, is there a casting somewhere on the block that I just can't find that can verify that this motor actually is a '78? The previous owner was kind of a tool, (he was the one that busted the iron duke while street racing a Camaro with a 4.1... :rolleyes: ) but he claims it was a '78.

Thanks in advance,

Widge

Originally posted by Ttype83
Check here for casting numbers, not all numbers are here thou
http://www.gnttype.org/general/v6hist.html

also here...with pics :)
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/pictureguides/blocks/blockguide.html

Use the heads off of yours if they are the 8445 heads. same with the intake...
HTH
Jim

Thanks for your response.

The heads on the original motor are pretty toasted, so I kind of have to keep the one from the Monza, but I'm not too worried about it, so long as the damn thing works long enough for me to drop in a turbo'd 350 next year.

Widge

Is the '83 a T Type? When you install the '78 motor, will it be as a 2-bbl or Turbo?

There is a difference in the head ports on a '78 vs a later motor.

You don't really want to put a Chevy in a Buick do you? :(

Originally posted by b4black
Is the '83 a T Type? When you install the '78 motor, will it be as a 2-bbl or Turbo?

There is a difference in the head ports on a '78 vs a later motor.

You don't really want to put a Chevy in a Buick do you? :(

The '83's just a limited, no turbo. The '78's a plain-jane 2bbl. I was basically going to leave everything on the '78 except for accessories and the timing chain cover (the 78 doesn't have provisions for the fuel pump).

And yes, I plan on putting a sbc in it. I want a power8 instead of a power6. ;)

I figure with a turbo on a mild 350 I can be making 450hp fairly easily, which should put me into the 11s with decent traction. :D

Widge

Back