78 Turbo Unit

78TurboBuick

I am looking for a turbo unit for a 1978 Turbo Buick. I just rebuilt the engine and im not getting the power i need. I think that it is in the turbo unit. My gauge is reading out between 10 and 15 p.s.i., but im not gettting the power i should be. Please let me know with any leads. Thanx 78TurboBuick

Here are some I would recommend:

http://www.precisionte.com/
http://www.bramall-turbo.com/
Limit engineering (Don't know web address)

But if you are seeing 10+ psi at the intake, I believe this confirms the turbo is doing it's job. Is anything else abnormal? Try checking the catalyic convertor, it might be plugged. This will cause a lose of power.

10- 15 p.s.i. is high for this car.

Is your boost gauge good?

Check the wastegate diaphram for leaks.

Over boost could be causing the ESC to retard the ignition and cause a loss of power.:eek:

Turbo unit

Thank you guys for the reply on my turbo request.:D

Reply to the replys

I have no catilitic converter, so that means that that cant be clogged. Im not sure if my gauge is properly working and i havent checked the p.s.i. at the intake itself. Is there any recomendations on what kind of turbo or a nice turbo that will last a while that i can buy. I would like to have a new turbo even if mine is functioning properly. My engine has 1200 miles on it and the current turbo has like 70,000 miles. That is why i think that the turbo is at fault, unless i am not adjusting something correctly. Please let me know of any leads on this matter.

If the turbo is making 15 p.s.i. without any noise, DO NOT waste your money on a new turbo. Look in other directions for your problem.

I have found that " invisible " vac. leaks are a major cause of my motor falling flat on it's face. Check all of the various diaphrams for leaks.

Too much ignition advance will cause detonation and make the ESC over compensate with retard, and kill the power.

If you want more p.s.i. that is a different matter.

TurboNoise

What kind of noise will i hear when a turbo has gone bad?

An increase in turbo whine, probably coupled with exhaust smoke due to leaky seals. Probably not 15 p.s.i..