You can type here any text you want

8.5 question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

aj_naka_village

how much abuse can they take? I have a 87 monte ss and i am looking to upgrade my rear end. it is either going to be a 8.5 with new internals (locker, ring and pinion) or a crate 12 bolt. I would rather go with the 8.5 because it is more budget friendly. but i am wondering how strong it is. like for example what kind of times are being run with 8.5 rears? Thanks!

The stock GN and 442 rear will hold alot of power. Mine is still bone stock, i havent even had the cover off it yet! Anyway ive been mid 1.5 60's and have run as fast as 11.5x@128 with it, and run about 550whp and 500wtq every day, and it makes no noise or anything. I would recommend some moser stock replacement axles and new wheel bearings and seals. The stock gears and posi unit will hold 5-600whp pretty easy.
Gary

Also it is REALLY going to depend @ the track anyway... if you leave off the foot brake or transbrake. I've seen plenty of 8.5 diffs take the transbrakes however most of them showed damaged to the ring gear after a while.

Anytime you can preload the suspension its a better deal for all your driveline parts:cool:

Back