You can type here any text you want

8.5 rear??? PLEASE HELP!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

deeloc1

Hello everyone, i am new to the forum and i have a g-body elcamino. i am performing a LS1 engine swap and i have my eyes set on a GN rearend that i want to buy as opposed to buying a power robbing 12bolt or 9". I plan on making around 700+rwhp with N2O. Will a 8.5 Rear with 33spline axles hold up to that kind of horsepower abuse i'f i am running slicks and stalling at about 3800-4000rpms on the track with a 3500lb race weight car? i have heard that these rearends will take abuse through rumors...but i wanted to get answers from guys who actually have grandnationals who are running low 10 and 9 sec E.T.'s!!!!

i guess i'm really trying to ask how much can i throw at a built 8.5 gn rear end 33spline axles, spool etc...??? Any info will be greatly appreciated...thanks guys.

8.5 is pretty much a 12 bolt with a smaller ring gear. Beef it up and you'll be OK.

I've been 1.35 60 with a 8.5" 10 bolt @ 3500lbs with a SBC single turbo GN making 935RWHP.

Rear had 33spline axles / spool, TA Girdle, Back braced with rectangle tube reinforcement, welded axle tubes, clip eliminators, and billet yoke, and thats about it.

Back