You can type here any text you want

80 LeSabre Sport Coupe

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbofish38

Le Pétomane
Hello everybody, Well I've owned just about every model of turbo Buick ever offered but this one. Anybody seen one, have pictures of one or know of one for sale? This was the first year for the new sheet metal and the last year the turbo was available in the LeSabre. About all I know is it has amber park/signal lamps front and rear with a painted/blacked out grille. The lower body side moldings were black and chrome and it just had a 3.8 turbo emblem on the fender instead of the ventiports like the 78-79. Also anybody have production numbers for the 78-80 LeSabre Sport Coupes. All I have found was total LeSabre numbers. Thanks Eric Fisher.

The best I found so far:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LeSabre Sport Coupe: ?
Note: Total Turbo V6 production listed at 40,121 in "The Buick Free Spirit Power Manual". If sources are correct, this leaves 9,613 LeSabre Sport Coupes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LeSabre Sport Coupe: 3,582 (standard catalog of Buick)

LeSabre Coupe/Sport Coupe: 8,342 (NOTE: Figure includes all LeSabre base coupe and Sport Coupe models, not just those with the Turbo V6)

Thanks Rich. Kind of the same info I found. Wondering about the numbers. Seems kind of high for 80. But then again.... I mean if I saw one I would have remembered it even if it did not have the turbo motor. Standard 2 door coupes I have seen but never a Sport Coupe. Those must be even rarer then turbocharged 82 GNs. If you use my half assed system for rarity then assuming if every Buick dealer ordered one than that would make about 1.5 cars per dealer which means if there are 3 Buick dealers in my city than that makes about 5 cars sold new which means I should have seen one of them by now either driving down the street or in one of the hundreds of salvage yards in the area. Hey Rich, do you have in your archives or records any brouchures or order information indicating that they even offered them? I can see in my books that the turbo engines had their own stamping numbers compared to the Regals and Rivs so I am assuming they built some? Also I found some info indicating that a different instrument panel and dash applique might have been offered. I think instead of the usuall woodgrain there might have been a brushed aluminum looking package available. Also, a floor shifter and console was an option. Keep your eyes and ears open and post if you see anything. Thanks Eric

They are in the sales brochure. Neat looking. Just like you said, blacked out grille, no portholes and fluted rocker/B-pillar moldings.

They must have existed. I have a NOS hood ornamnet for one. :cool: Just like all other RWD turbo cars, except a different base.

The early ornaments are much better quality. The molds were pretty much worn out by the SFI years. ;)

Thanks guys, I'm on a mission now so as I find leads and information I'll post it to this board. Eric Fisher

Back