80 Sport Coupe - in the bush for 20 years

Update. I dragged my 80 Sport Coupe up to the house last weekend and cleaned it out. Took off the T-tops and let it breath - vacuumed it out - blew all of the leaves out of the engine compartment. I topped up the fluids and put the booster cables on it. I thought it would be a good idea to put some gas down the carb and see if it would fire - to get some oil splashed around. So I did and it fired a bit. So I did it a few more times, and the bloody thing started to run :eek: So I splashed some more gas down the carb and before I knew it it was running, idling on it's own!! I couldn't believe it!! The gas must be 15 or 20 years old!! I couldn't resist taking it for a drive. Steering and brakes worked a-1, trans shifted nice, but the engine was smoking like crazy. The po said he blew a turbo seal and that's why he parked it in 1990. Again, I couldn't believe it!! So I haven't done anything other than that to it. Does it make sense that if the turbo seal was gone, it would smoke like craaaaazy? How hard is it to fix up these old turbos?
Thanks
Darren

Update. I dragged my 80 Sport Coupe up to the house last weekend and cleaned it out. Took off the T-tops and let it breath - vacuumed it out - blew all of the leaves out of the engine compartment. I topped up the fluids and put the booster cables on it. I thought it would be a good idea to put some gas down the carb and see if it would fire - to get some oil splashed around. So I did and it fired a bit. So I did it a few more times, and the bloody thing started to run :eek: So I splashed some more gas down the carb and before I knew it it was running, idling on it's own!! I couldn't believe it!! The gas must be 15 or 20 years old!! I couldn't resist taking it for a drive. Steering and brakes worked a-1, trans shifted nice, but the engine was smoking like crazy. The po said he blew a turbo seal and that's why he parked it in 1990. Again, I couldn't believe it!! So I haven't done anything other than that to it. Does it make sense that if the turbo seal was gone, it would smoke like craaaaazy? How hard is it to fix up these old turbos?
Thanks
Darren

neat and only a 100 bucks. its a keeper. see if you can make a vid.

wow looks pretty crummy but i think it can be saved and me beeing a big fan of the 80 its worth saving

First things first. Get some decent gas in her! Worry about the turbo after you make sure there aren't any problems. Do an oil change and a few things like a tune up and then contact gpop shop about rebuilding the turbo. If you can find a later (83) turbo and the hot side off an 84 or later tubo you'll be much happier with the way it works. Click on the second link in my sig for more ideas, but read the whole thing so you have a better idea of what's involved.

If I was you I would just pull the gas tank, inspect the inside and drain it. You never know if theres rust in there from sitting that long. Check the pcv valve and make sure it isn't plugged and clean it out with some brake clean before you go and pull the turbo. I bet your wishing you started messing with it a long time ago, huh?;) Post some pics of it all cleaned up!

The po said he blew a turbo seal and that's why he parked it in 1990. Again, I couldn't believe it!! So I haven't done anything other than that to it. Does it make sense that if the turbo seal was gone, it would smoke like craaaaazy? How hard is it to fix up these old turbos?
Thanks
Darren

Yes, a bad turbo seal will allow oil to get sucked into the intake and make it smoke. Most noticeable after slowing down to a stop and then starting off agian (like at a stop sign). I would get a cheap turbo off ebay. Hopefully it will have a good turbo seal and it's always nice to have a second before tearing apart the first.

Nice find. I always get a kick out of cars that sit for a long time and start right up again. :)

Oh yeah, one more 1980 Regal on the site !

There's also a picture of the wheels.

I have the same wheels, are they original of the 80' Sport Coupe ?! I always thought these wheels are aftermarket. Do you know the name of them ?

Thx !

I don't know the name of them, but I've seen them on several earlier Metric Regals. I don't doubt they were factory on this car. My old Sport Coupe had the 14" Rallyes though.

Nice find, especially for $100! Will keep an eye on this thread, love watching build threads and back from the dead threads!

Oh yeah, one more 1980 Regal on the site !

I have the same wheels, are they original of the 80' Sport Coupe ?! I always thought these wheels are aftermarket. Do you know the name of them ?

Thx !

They are factory "polycast" wheels. Available for several years. Many Century Turbo Coupes had them. NOS center caps are plentiful, but the trim rings are impossible to find.

Updated pics

I snapped some pics of the car after it was cleaned up a bit.

Attachments

• 049a.jpg
    049a.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 164
  • 050a.jpg
    050a.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 159
  • 052a.jpg
    052a.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 169
  • 053a.jpg
    053a.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 161
More.

Attachments

• 054a.jpg
    054a.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 161
  • 055a.jpg
    055a.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 159
  • 056a.jpg
    056a.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 155
  • 057a.jpg
    057a.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 164
That's gonna be a nice car when it's finished. Hows the underneath? That would be a fun car to do a frame off on.

It's good underneath, but the body needs a lot of work. Actually a new trunk lid would save a lot of that work. I was thinking it would look better with an 84 Hurst Olds rear spoiler? (Purists don't judge...) And my stock gn wheels. It's not going to be a fast project though as paint and body isn't my specialty. And my 87 GN's 23 year old lacquer paint is going to get done before this one. But thanks for the comments guys - it gives me some inspiration - that it will be worth the effort.