You can type here any text you want

81 Instrument panel swap - lights/clock to gauges/tach

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dhattey

Anyone know if the wiring harness on a 81 Monte Carlo Turbo Coupe has the wires for gauges if it came with idiot lights and a clock? I just learned the hard way that the cluster and tach don't swap in - the back plastic mount/wiring lacks the connection points for the wiring of the gauges. Instead it just has the sockets for the idiot lights.

Which starts me thinking, if if replace the whole cluster will i just find out they left the wires out of the harness?

I know i'll have to change out the sender units for water temp and oil pressure...

Thanks in advance!
Dave

Not sure what you're trying to say Dave. Are you trying to swap an SS dash into the car?

The best thing to do is find a 81 MC shop manual. If it's like the Regal than the pin out on the main connector is different. The connector is the same, it just might have a couple of the pins swapped around. IIRC the Chevys with the round gauge, gauge cluster used the same under dash wire harness.

Back