You can type here any text you want

81 n/a v6 to turbo sport coupe spec

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

usetaboost

SAY CAR RAMROD!!
A friend has accquired an 81 regal with a v6. We have located 2 complete turbo setups. One I know for sure is a non-feedback. The other has yet to be investigated but I am thinking it may be an 81. Either way, we would like to go ecm if budget allows. What is required to convert to ecm setup from an 81 bastard child? More yet, what would be required to convert 81 setup to 82/83 controls? Charles, you may need to break this down for me. I know YOU know what I'm getting at, but everyone else may not. I want to run the ecm setup if it ends up being easy (plug and play) If not, we will go old school setup and he'll just have to rig up a wideband.

The bastard child set up is only in the waste gate Jesse. Change it and it's just like the rest. Which one is the cheaper of the two? You can make either work but I need a little more info please.

I don't know if I should say cheaper, because one setup is missing the turbo and possibly a few other things. This setup is local. It is in a turbo century coupe in the junkyard. I don't know what year it is. He is supposed to go out there and find out. The other is the one keith has. Keith thought it was an 83 setup but it has the red snorkel on it and if I remember it didn't have an OD trans hooked to it. I think the trans did have a lockup connector but not sure. Only looked at it once and I didn't look at it for too long. His setup is complete for the most part (and already pulled). As of now that's all I know.

Well at least grab the turbo control center and PEVR valve for me if he doesn't decide to use that one. The red snorkle isn't a good way to tell what year it is. Check the location of the water outlet and whether the plenum is heated with an EGR tube or water. If it's water then it's an 81 or earlier. Aluminum intake with the normal front facing t stat housing is an 80 and the one that faces up is the 81. Cast iron is 78-79. EGR heated plenum is the 82-83.

Well at least grab the turbo control center and PEVR valve for me if he doesn't decide to use that one. The red snorkle isn't a good way to tell what year it is. Check the location of the water outlet and whether the plenum is heated with an EGR tube or water. If it's water then it's an 81 or earlier. Aluminum intake with the normal front facing t stat housing is an 80 and the one that faces up is the 81. Cast iron is 78-79. EGR heated plenum is the 82-83.

yea grab that stuff if charlie doesn't want it i will take it lol

I'll leave that up to him. I've never had any luck with getting pevr valves off without them breaking. I did mention to him about getting the esc box. Should tell him to get the whole thing. I'd hate to see good parts get turned into beer cans. I think we are going to stay with a 350 trans, get a 3.08 gear, 2800 stall, transgo shift kit. He hasn't said what he's going to do for exhaust yet, but that's later. The alky kit I threw together on my car will most likely end up on his car next summer.

Well keep us informed Jesse. The conversion shouldn't be that hard. Send a PM to Freddie and see if he'll come join us. I'm sure his help will be more useful with all of us. Time to spend some time in the shop. Got my crank back and have to do some polishing on the throws to get rid of stress riser locations.

Back