You can type here any text you want

81 Turbo Monte retarding timing...looking for advice!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dhattey

I've got a 81 Monte Carlo Landau Turbo survivor that i'm slowly putting back to right. Interior looks great, exterior straight and complete but needs paint - a good 20 footer. Black with burgandy interior, T-Tops, checkered flag mags.

Motor has been giving me fits. Didn't run when i got her so dug in there first. Good compression, cleaned up and rebuilt everything above the heads, checked out the Turbo. Put her back together and she runs if the 4 pin connector is disconnected at the distributor but very little boost (1 pound according to my external guage taped to the windshield :rolleyes: ) and very little oomph. Timing is set per specs, 15 degrees in drive with idle at 650 and this connector disconnected.

When i hook the 4 pin up, it retards the timing and she barely idles, won't take the gas, occasional backfire. Barely enough power to move the car.

Knock detector is new and i pulled the computer and ECS to ohm out all the connections - it reads same ohms from connector under dash as right at the sensor. Didn't see any burned components on the ECS or ECM, cleaned the connectors and put it back together.

Ignition module has been replaced twice with two different brands.

MAP and BAP sensors are new, as is the oxygen sensor - these three got the computer to go into closed loop and control the carb - now when i hook up the 4 pin she runs bad but the "check engine light" goes out!

But I can't seem to figure out what is causing the ECM/ECS to retard the timing.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Dave

I shoot for the ecm.are the t tops rusted if so water could have ran down the winsheild rail and smoked the ecm.When it rains check to see if the passenger side floor is wet.Just a thought

Good news - no leakage. ECM looked fine when i pulled it - no corrosion, no burned components. And it is running well enough to work the Check Engine light (as I learned today when it finally went out after the new BAP/MAP and oxygen sensor...)

Thanks for the idea, Jimski.

How's the Pick-Up coil? Not the distributor coil on the cap, but the one inside the distributor, (although you should check the coil on the cap too they do go bad often enough). I'd buy a new one as a back up, (with HEI I always have each of the componants duplicated for back up.

Do you have a scan tool?

An OTC Monitor (2, 3, 4, 85 or 2000) would be a good choice. Just make sure it comes with the 1981 adapter plug. 1981 diagnostic connector is a little different than 1982 and up.

Back