You can type here any text you want

81 wont boost

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TURBOELKY

i've posted this problem before, the car wont boost. I've tried to adjust the waste gate both ways since i've heard the 81 had a waste gate that was always open? the map sensor is not connected, i've tried several times to locate where the thing plugs into, would that stop the turbo from boosting? I've asked for a diagram, somebody shot me one on this board, I need an actual p icture of where the map sensor plug into, also, the wastegate puck is a little stiff, and does not move very far either way. anybody that can shed light on this, i'd appreciate it. I drive this car everyday to work, and I would like the turbo to work, cars runs perfect, just need a little kick in the butt. :)

Yes, the '81 is normally open. To switch to normally closed, you need to change the turbine elbow and wastegate actuator. It's fairly easy, finding a good actuator would be the hardest part.

If the MAP sensor is not connect and the line is open somewhere, then you would be blowing boost out the line. Look where the compressor bolts to the lower intake manifold (looks like a foot with three toes). Is there a port/nipple with a hose connected to it (on the driver's side)? If so, that is the line that the MAP should be connected to.

The ECM needs the MAP to work correctly.

The wastegate should move easily (with the actuator rod removed), but only over a short distance.

I would convert over to a normally closed wastegate. Like I said, finding a actuator that holds pressure is the hardest part. Once you get that, I can send you an elbow. They both can be swapped without removing the turbo from the engine.

Thanks

I've looked on the compressor housing, there is one thing the carburator connects to, and one more towards the firewall that there looks to be maybe a bolt in it??? I believe the old woman who drove it probably had somebody or one of her mechanics block the turbo from working in some way so she would'nt hot rod around town :D how do I tell if mine is the always open, or always closed?? also, if I do switch elbows, would i have to change anything else? thanks for the info, i'll check it out again today, and try to figure it out again for the millionth time! :cool:

On the wastegate, does the actuator rod connect in front of the pivot point (closer to the radiator), or behind (closer to the firewall)?

Just the elbow and actuator is all you need.

You have an electronic Quadrajet (stock carb) right? The compressor should not be connected to it.

Here's that diagram again:
http://home.flash.net/~rjgeorge/images/vac81a.jpg

Thanks

for the diagram. I was riding home today, I figured I'd peg the gas to the floor. It boosted! it actually runs very well, just alot of lag, but once it comes on, it does move. The funny thing is, the car revs high in first and kicks hard like it has a shift kit. I'm use to the cold air cars, is this normal, I know the tranny is not bad 100%. I just need to figure out the map sensor, and put a boost gauge in it. I'll keep you posted, thanks again :)

Boost is cool. :cool:

You might need to adjust the TV cable for the trans. It's connected to the throttle linkage. It has a D shaped botton you push and shove the adjuster all the way back in. Then when depress the gas pedal to the floor, it adjusts itself.

You may find a better description in the trans section.

No Prob

the tranny is fine. under light acceleration, it shifts perfect, and under full throttle, it revvs a little higher like it should perfect. I've been through the tv thing many times, but thanks. I also found that the compressor housing has a bolt in place where I believe the map fitting should be. It looks to be two fittings, one towards the front, goes who knows where, and the one where the map should go to. It looks like I have to remove the turbo to get to it, so i'll do it when I get the time. Time for new brakes, this weekend I will do it. Will I need any special gaskets?? Maybe at one time the turbo was changed? or rebuilt. I dont know why since it was an old womans, but it also has an adjustable actuator, pretty cool. Thanks for the help./.... :)

The two ports go to exactly the same place. 78/80 used twoboth, 82/83 used one. 81 may have used one with the second blocked off. Instead of tasking off the turbo, just T into the existing line. It's just manifold vacuum/pressure.

but

it looks to be a hard line, or I would tap into it. I think I'll take some pics when I get a chance and post them for you to see what i'm talking about. thanks man. :)

Back