You can type here any text you want

82 Sport Coupe Engine Wiring Help

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

blacknight80

Hi Guys

I'm a newb to the turbo regal world so bare with me. I just picked up an 82 sport coupe the other day and it needs some work. I need help with engine wiring. One of the previous owners removed the air pump and the wiring on top of the intake is a rats nest. So if anyone has a wiring diagram or any help at all I would be very appreciative. There was what looks like a maf sensor in the trunk that was partially melted and a plug that matches what is on the sensor is loose on top of the intake. Should this motor have a maf sensor under the carb.

Thanks in advance
image.jpg

Welcome to the board. If you haven't do so, go to your user controls and add some info like location and your vehicle. That's not a MAF, that's the base plate heater that was intended for emissions when the engine was cold. They're long out of production now and since it's bad just throw it away and use a thick style carb base gasket. As far as a diagram goes, have you checked www.beforeblack.net to see if Rich's site has what you need?

I've got the diagram but no way to scan it. Hopefully Rich will jump in with something.:)

This is what you are looking for.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/1982-turbo-regal-vacuum-and-wiring.395992/

No need for a MAF sensor on a carbureted engine - The carb does the fuel air/fuel metering. That's an electric EFE (Early Fuel Evaporation). It took the place of the EFE heat riser butterfly that was in the driver's side exhaust manifold on early engines. It provided heat to the incoming air while the engine was warming up on a cold start. Unless you are driving this car in the very cold, you probably don't need it. And it's very expensive if you can't find one. Leaving it unplugged is OK.

I'm in the process of redoing my '82 SC wiring as well. There are two main harnesses - one for the computer that comes in under the HVAC box and another for the instrument panel which is plugged in near the wiper motor. The spark control module (ESC) is under the dash.

Great!!!! That's a big help. I'm currently fighting with the carb. Sometimes it runs strong and the next time it won't start due to lack fuel. Where is the best place to order a carb/bushing kit. I have called the local parts stores but they are stunned to say the least. I am going to chase wires while I wait for the parts to come in. when at full throttle it will boost up and the secondaries will open then it will completely die almost like the computer is turning off my fuel. Once i let off the throttle slightly power is returned and if held to the Mat for too long it will kill the power again. I was thinking that maybe one of the many wires that are unhooked on top of the motor might have something to do with this.

Thanks for helping a dense N/A motor guy.

The '82 Sport Coupe uses an electronic (feedback) quadrajet. The computer handles the A/F adjustments. I wouldn't mess with it unless you are 100% sure it's the problem. Last time at the track, I got a chunk of rubber hose stuck in the float inlet. I had to remove the top (air horn) to get the piece of rubber out, so I needed a new top gasket. I ordered a kit of ebay, part number 10720B. I think it is a generic kit for the electronic Q-jet.

I suspect you might be getting a lot of knock and the computer is pulling massive amounts of timing to protect the engine. This will make the call fall on it's face and it won't recover right away. If you can get a GM scan tool you can use it watch for knocking and also check all the other sensor to make sure they are working properly. I'm betting the carb is not the problem.

Search ebay for:
10720B (carb,carburetor)
OTC Monitor (II,3,4,85,2000)
1982 Buick Regal Riviera Shop Manual

Ok I will try that. I replaced the fuel pump to see if that was the problem. I also have problems starting as if it's not getting fuel. I took out the fuel filter(brand new) and it resolves the problem with starting and it will flash right up. Seems like a fuel pressure issue but with the new fuel pump I feel like I have removed that piece of the puzzle. I will start a new post to cover the new issue haha. I may have a few posts before I get this car sorted out. haha. Do you find knock sensors fail overtime and need replaced? The knock sensor is on the intake manifold behind/under the turbo right?

Thanks for the help

Back