You can type here any text you want

83 turbo carb

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

JUVE11

what can i do to my car to make it react quicker and run faster.
stock 3.8 turbo carb

what can i do to my car to make it react quicker and run faster.
stock 3.8 turbo carb

hog out the intake
port the heads
adjust your secondaries
upgrade your turbo using charlies setup
160 degree thermostat
Alcahol injection
MSD 6 BTM system
If possible advance your distributor
Shift kit
3000 stall converter

Look at the B4B website for some more recipies...

hog out the intake
port the heads
adjust your secondaries
upgrade your turbo using charlies setup
160 degree thermostat
Alcahol injection
MSD 6 BTM system
If possible advance your distributor
Shift kit
3000 stall converter

Look at the B4B website for some more recipies...

damn how much $ we talking about

Step one- Under $400
Change your oil
Boost guage
Put in some 93
Knock guage
Wideband

More advanced-
Put on a cat dump pipe
Change out the old air box, stock one is poor
3.42 rear ratio
alcjohol injection

Dont screw with the motor til its running right.

Step one- Under $400
Change your oil
Boost guage
Put in some 93
Knock guage
Wideband

More advanced-
Put on a cat dump pipe
3.42 rear ratio
alcjohol injection

they all came with 3.42s didnt they?

they all came with 3.42s didnt they?

Enough! There's lots to learn on the C/T system but you need to do the research first. A simple alky injection system and a few mods will get you more power but having the ability to put it to the pavement is another thing. The kid is right about the turbo I have posted on the board but there's more to it than that.:biggrin:

I think I've got about 5K in the parts I have now and that doesn't include the car or the time I've spent doing the research.:eek: It has taken me time to figure out how to make everything work and I'm not done yet.:biggrin: Mods to the suspension are the biggest thing here. The engine is part of the equasion but it's the combo that needs to be addressed here. Everything has to work together and can't be pieced or you will blow engines as well as spend more money than it's worth.:eek:

I say Spend $250 on a wet nitrous kit and spray a 75 shot and call it a day. Won't beat the kick of that for the money spent, but don't listen to me.

I say Spend $250 on a wet nitrous kit and spray a 75 shot and call it a day. Won't beat the kick of that for the money spent, but don't listen to me.

Honestly this is the cheapest way to go. Simple and effective but make sure that you have everything running right first so you don't blow the engine.:smile:

Honestly this is the cheapest way to go. Simple and effective but make sure that you have everything running right first so you don't blow the engine.:smile:

...thats the last thing i need IMO... is a bottle of nitrous. something else for some a$$hole to steal from me:mad:

Enough! There's lots to learn on the C/T system but you need to do the research first. A simple alky injection system and a few mods will get you more power but having the ability to put it to the pavement is another thing. The kid is right about the turbo I have posted on the board but there's more to it than that.:biggrin:

I think I've got about 5K in the parts I have now and that doesn't include the car or the time I've spent doing the research.:eek: It has taken me time to figure out how to make everything work and I'm not done yet.:biggrin: Mods to the suspension are the biggest thing here. The engine is part of the equasion but it's the combo that needs to be addressed here. Everything has to work together and can't be pieced or you will blow engines as well as spend more money than it's worth.:eek:

yes, there is way more to it than you see. i am building the 301 turbo and have run across some things charlie has not posted. i will just wait and see if all that work is worth it come spring.

yes, nitrous works real good! i have the dang super powershot plate system. i might up the jets a little and see what it can do.:wink:

...thats the last thing i need IMO... is a bottle of nitrous. something else for some a$$hole to steal from me:mad:

if the bottle is in the trunk how would anyone know its there. plus you can always hide the bottle in your house.:biggrin:

Enough! I think I've got about 5K in the parts I have now and that doesn't include the car or the time I've spent doing the research.:eek:

Seriously, 5K? You might want to rethink your approach. ;) $500 ought to be plenty to get you down the track with a nice time slip. These car aren't that complicated. MNcarbturbo's list above is spot on IMO.

Seriously, 5K? You might want to rethink your approach. ;) $500 ought to be plenty to get you down the track with a nice time slip. These car aren't that complicated. MNcarbturbo's list above is spot on IMO.

Well it wasn't that hard when you've got 3 of the same model car Rich.:biggrin: Research takes time and money you know. 3 Regals right now and one's a parts car. Not to mention interior parts, exhaust parts, engine parts, ect. I think I've got 8 turbos right now as well. Trades and people giving me stuff too so what can I say.

I mean I am a little more advanced, but Im not going to go to far into anything.

Rich's recipie on his website makes sense. Only thing Id change on it is move the new DP up farther (makes a big difference) and put a wideband on right away.

Ive been stupid not having a WB on mine, it will happen this summer. About as serious as I would get would be what Im doing this summer. If I dont go fast enough the CT setup is either getting tossed for a blowthrough or more than likely SFI :eek:

My serious mods for the 2011 season will be

Down Pipe
Cam
Ported heads
87 compressor in 80 housing (screw lag)
MSD BTM
Ported intake
Rebuilt .040 with hypers
3.08's

AND THATS IT!

The easy stuff is-

Alky
Good air filter
Opened up secondary flaps
Good set of spark plugs
Clean carb
Rear gears
Dump pipe out the cat
Get it running right

You can get it from the stock 17's into the 14's with just that stuff right above. I expect mid 13's with sticky tires and some rear gears with what Ive got. Only thing worse than a GN will be the intake, and everything else will be better or just as good, so theres no reason it isnt possible.

I have the wideband. If I spent more time tuning with it and less time bracket racing, I think I'd have the 13 sec time slip by now. Never made it to the track in 2010. :(

Now if I were to do the same setup, but with a 4.1 block, ported heads, roller cam.....

I have three regals (actually five if you count the GS's) and a turbo diesel pick up. I've learned the first step to making them faster is to make them driveable. The best research is done on a moving car and not the interent. :)

I've learned the first step to making them faster is to make them driveable. The best research is done on a moving car and not the interent. :)

Well if it wasn't for people doing research before something was done then we'd still be driving model T's Rich.:biggrin:

I like to learn from others mistakes and have revised what I started doing before I got the car together. The internet has a great deal of matereal on it with technical data about how things work from an engineering point and I am only lacking 30 hours on an engineering degree and I can't afford to finish it. The car is an engineering excersize for me as well as a hobby.

Would I prefer to have a running car? yes, but I don't right now.:frown: I do have the ability to read and understand what people have done and whether or not it worked. The research is exactly that.

Just like the PEVR valve. According to the factory GM manual I have here it's name is PECV per GM.:biggrin:

Step one- Under $400
Change your oil
Boost guage
Put in some 93
Knock guage
Wideband

More advanced-
Put on a cat dump pipe
3.42 rear ratio
alcjohol injection

whats a wideband and knockgauge

whats a wideband and knockgauge

A knock gauge is like an oil pressure guage but it's hooked up to the knock sensor so you can tell if detonation is occuring. Detonation is what kills engines so it's a bad thing.

A wideband is used to tell whether the engine is running rich or lean. It's a tuning aid and will keep you from blowing the engine up. It goes in the exhaust just after the turbo and looks like an O2 sensor with a guage that goes in the the cabin.

Back