You can type here any text you want

84/85 versus 86/87 center cartridge

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

MaxPower

Is there a specific difference between the hot air center cartridge versus the intercooled center? I've got a set of perfectly good hot air cartridges I was hoping to use for a swap with the compressor and turbine wheels/housings from an 86/87 turbo.

Any help is appreciated! Tried searching for some hits, to no avail.

BTW - this is going to be going on my 2009 G8 GT, I'm working on a twin turbo setup for it :cool:

it is the same.

T3 housing is T3 housing.

but like you said, the turbine and compressor wheels are different.

new centers are available

A.j.

Is there a specific difference between the hot air center cartridge versus the intercooled center? I've got a set of perfectly good hot air cartridges I was hoping to use for a swap with the compressor and turbine wheels/housings from an 86/87 turbo.

Any help is appreciated! Tried searching for some hits, to no avail.

BTW - this is going to be going on my 2009 G8 GT, I'm working on a twin turbo setup for it :cool:

are you planing on getting rid of the hot airs hot side (turbine wheel and housing). i have been looking for one.

They are not the same. Different style backing plates. You need to have an 84-85 comp housing and backing plate modified for the 86-87 compressor wheel. You cant go the other way since the comp housing is machined larger on the 86-87.

it is the same.

T3 housing is T3 housing.

but like you said, the turbine and compressor wheels are different.

new centers are available

A.j.

You are correct that the bearing housing is the same but the cartridge is not the same.

So, still kinda confused. I guess I should say center section/bearings. The cartridge would include the backing plate(s), shaft and compressor/turbine. More worried about just the center piece.

So the centers are identical, yes? Can I basically pull the shaft and impellers and install the 86/87 parts?

Thanks again!

are you planing on getting rid of the hot airs hot side (turbine wheel and housing). i have been looking for one.

Definitely. PM me to keep this thread clean. You looking for one or both?

So, still kinda confused. I guess I should say center section/bearings. The cartridge would include the backing plate(s), shaft and compressor/turbine. More worried about just the center piece.

So the centers are identical, yes? Can I basically pull the shaft and impellers and install the 86/87 parts?

Thanks again!

Definitely. PM me to keep this thread clean. You looking for one or both?
The bearing housing is the same. I would sell the 84-85 cartridges if they are in good shape and just buy two fresh 86-87 cartridges.

The bearing housing is the same. I would sell the 84-85 cartridges if they are in good shape and just buy two fresh 86-87 cartridges.

+1

I agree here big time.

There are lots of rebuilt cartriges, and it would save you the time.

with the cost of a new center housing, its almost pointless to go through the trouble of inspection and cleaning.

unless bottom dollar budget is nessacary, I would shoot for new centers or rebuilt cartriges.

rebuilt cartridges run 267.99 each...

new Garrett T3 Non-water cooled center housings are 74.89

+95 Kit+ possible 65.00 balance + labor= roughly what you would have paid for a rebuilt Cartridge.

weigh your time to money ratio.

:rolleyes:A.j.

Back