You can type here any text you want

84 stock posi type

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

INEEDAGN

Seen Your Member
Car is an 84 t type that had g80 from the factory. Pulled the cover and it has one of those flyweight governor type lockers in it. Original ring and pinion. Was that what gm used in 84 or has this been swapped? Its not a clutch style like my 87.

1377981246029.jpg

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Looks like what my '96 Chevrolet pickup had in it. I am not sure but I would guess it is not stock to the 84. My 84 T Type has an open rear end so I had nothing to reference to.

What you have there is what is referred to as a gov-bomb! prone to failure. It probably came out of an s10 or camaro.

I'd seen them in other GM vehicles before back in my transmission shop days and my boss never had anything good to say about them. I'm not going to make tons of power or track passes with it or anything so I guess we'll see what happens to it. Wonder if it's still 28 spline?

Those were great for low power off road vehicles but once you started adding power they would blow up, literally.:mad:

Those were great for low power off road vehicles but once you started adding power they would blow up, literally.:mad:

I guess we will see!

Anyone know if it coulda been factory?

my 84 T Type has a regular clutch style Eaton posi in it... someone swapped that into your car for some reason- and it's possible that they upgraded to 30 spline axles if they got it from a newer pickup.. you're that far in, it only takes a few minutes to get an axle out from there to count the splines..

Axles look stock and crusty but I might pull one if I get time.

Thanks guys

Is there any reason to run limited slip supplement in the gear oil of this thing? There appears to be a few clutches off to one side of the spider gears

I'd seen them in other GM vehicles before back in my transmission shop days and my boss never had anything good to say about them. I'm not going to make tons of power or track passes with it or anything so I guess we'll see what happens to it. Wonder if it's still 28 spline?

Those gov bomb type are designed for low rpm operation. Off road 4x4 type rock crawling at low speeds. When you introduce that type to a burn out, it becomes quite explosive.
261672450.jpg
IMG_20121120_134740.jpg

Cool! I'll post pics when she grenades lol.

Sent from my LGL75C using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

Back