You can type here any text you want

84 ttype to 86 motor

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbotgnx

TTYPE
i have a 84 ttype and wanted to put an 86 intercooled engine i dont know if it would drop right in to the motor mounts and change the computer to an obd II or if i would need to fabricate alot. Is it even worth the trouble any information would be much appreciated. thanks

Welcome aboard turbobuick.com
I see this is your first post
Do a search you will find many threads/post on coverting to a intercooled setup.

i have a 84 ttype and wanted to put an 86 intercooled engine i dont know if it would drop right in to the motor mounts and change the computer to an obd II or if i would need to fabricate alot. Is it even worth the trouble any information would be much appreciated. thanks

The engine bay mounts will work without having to do anything to them to accept the 86 engine motor mounts so yes it will drop right in as you say.

You will need an ecm ( computer ) for an 86 - 87 turbo regal, you can sometimes find them for sale in the parts for sale forum.

As long as you have all the parts required from an 86 - 87 turbo regal you won't have to do any fabrication to do the conversion. :smile:

There's a lot more involved than just swapping ecm's. The coil pack is different as an example. It can be done though. Do yo have an engine in hand yet? If not, there's a few different things you might want to get from the donor vehicle.

Its not that hard. You need to find a complete engine with harness and ecm first. I have one in CT if interested. You also need to fab a fuel feed line. Conn84 GN has a nice fuel line in his car that he made when he converted it.

no i dont have an engine yet i took out mine out and gave it to a buddy before i went to iraq i thought i was going to get into a stage II but kid and old lady = to much money im looking for either a 84 85 engine or 86 87 id just like to get the car going again

The heater core is different. The under hood wiring harness is different. while it will connect to the connector on the firewall, one function will not work because it was not available in 1984. I cannot remember what it was...getting old. Also, the exhaust will not work as the cat on 84-85 is different than 86-87. You will want the later exhaust anyway. Use the hydroboost as it is much better than anything since. The 86-87 power steering pump will drive it fine. You will need to re-plumb it but it is no big deal. Shoot me an e-mail and we can discuss further.
Conrad Carter
alphaenvirmgt@ctc.net

Back