You can type here any text you want

85 drivetrain to 87 drivetrain swap ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

bpman1234

Lets say you have a donor car 87 what's needed to put the drivetrain in the 85 hot air car beside the motor tranny and Wire harness radiator .is fuse box the same is the fuel pump wiring the same? What can I leave in the hot air car for the swap?

This should help: http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/buick-v6-turbo-tech/95871-84-85-gn-conversion-87-intercooled.html

Do you already have the '85, or are you looking to buy it? It's a lot of work. If you can get ahold of a complete 87 engine/tx combo, that's most of it, and it will make it significantly easier to swap than trying to convert an '85 block, but then you have to toss in the wiring and ECU, too. It can get expensive.

If you don't already have the 85, I'd just go hunting for an 86/87.

Good luck, though! If you can get an '87 drivetrain, that's a HUGE upgrade from the stock hot air setup!

Have an 87 everything wire harness motor tranny rear downpipe it's in a rust bucket 87 gn that I have .have a chance to pickup a 85 hot air that needs floors but the rest of the car is solid . Just need the know the electrical part of the transplant as far as main wire harness I know I have to pull it out through the firewall passenger side but where do I stop at the other end ?and and under dash wiring if it's the same ?

If you have a longblock already, that's most of the battle, as far as I know. Make sure that you transfer over the ECM, you might have to do something with the harness there. I can't remember off the top of my head. You should make sure to snag up all the sensors, too, like the 87 maf and inlet air temp sensor. If you don't swap the harness over, you may have to run a wire for the IAT. I how someone who knows more about the electrical side can help you out with that.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

If it's a late 85 it may be easier.

Way back when, in the 90's, my car was an 85. It had a powermaster, larger radiator, and and I believe the proper fuse panel with the fan circuits and stuff. The drive-line was high jacked from a TR that was T-boned broadside. I didn't do the conversion. Cotton's Performance did. He had a mechanic on the job for only a few days.

Afterwards, he told me it was a snap. No big deal. Smooth as glass.

Things are different now. But for those years I was running an 87 stock style set-up, I never ran into any snags that were left-over issues from it being an 85 TR. The conversion was complete and thorough without left over inherited problems.

Back