You can type here any text you want

85 El camino exhaust question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ksmmspt

For those of you who have put the GN drivetrain in a g-body elky, what modifications will need to be made to a cat-back exhaust system? I want to get a 2.5 inch or 3 inch dual system. I'm afraid that the GN systems might be a little short (i.e. Hooker system). Any ideas?

My GN powered 1982 Camino had a 2.5" ATR stainless system, had to add 4" in front of the mufflers. Otherwise, it fit perfectly.

you should'nt do an elky conversion, its terrible:rolleyes: just take it to the muffler shop and have them make you a 3" single shot. Cheap and efficient.

Couldn't order it for an El Camino from ATR, had a local shop make the pieces and weld them in.

Think I sent you some pictures of my car last year. I have a drive shaft w/yoke & joints, made for the GN conversion that had very little use should you need one.

Wahoo,
Where did they weld in the new pieces? Was it just behind the cat to the ATR system or somewhere else? Thanks

Welded them where the muffler was supposed to go, then welded on the muffler onto them.

When i worked at midas i did a few . I would use the monte carlo y pipe and add the extra on to the end of y-pipe . because the gn pipe was not made for mufflers to be attached to it because the muffler was located behind the axle. I did 2 cars that didnt have any mufflers at all. just bent two replacement peices. cars sounded pretty good but real loud when on it. if you have a real good exhaust shop in your area they can make complete system. finish line in naperville illinois can make entire system but not cheap .they can make it out of 3 inch stainless . i would just get flowmaster system and have the xtra peices installed. beware that some shops will try to ad peice before converter or test pipe. you can do that but hanging system gets a little complicated at front hanger. lol

Back