You can type here any text you want

85 model 140 block question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Stevehardin87gn

Hey guys....got a question.....I have an 87 GN that I wanted to rebuild the engine. Found a guy that told me he had and 87 GN engine tore apart and wanted to sell it. I thought it would b great to build that one and then I wouldn't b down very long. I got it and its not a 109, the last three #'s are 140, and it has 85 on the block. I checked the casting and its an 1985 hot air block. MY question is, are these blocks as good as the 109? Can it handle the same as the 109. Do I need to call this guy back and get my money back? PLEASE help.

Hey guys....got a question.....I have an 87 GN that I wanted to rebuild the engine. Found a guy that told me he had and 87 GN engine tore apart and wanted to sell it. I thought it would b great to build that one and then I wouldn't b down very long. I got it and its not a 109, the last three #'s are 140, and it has 85 on the block. I checked the casting and its an 1985 hot air block. MY question is, are these blocks as good as the 109? Can it handle the same as the 109. Do I need to call this guy back and get my money back? PLEASE help.

Biggest differences between the 140 and 109: The lifter valley is weaker as it is a raw casting, and not finished.

The 140 block does not have a turbo oil drain drilled into it, but it can be drilled and tapped, that's what I had done.

The 140 block is a taller deck, so using 87 pistons will give you a little lower compression. This could affect spool up, but will allow you to run higher boost, truly a double edged sword.

Unless you plan on running a really big number, I wouldn't sweat it, if it is going to be too big of a headache to get your money back (shipping and tracking the guy down). I can certainly understand wanting to get what you paid for though.

I run a girdled 140 block, beat the snot out of it everytime I drive it and have run as fast as 10.40@132 with it. I have had it for 6 years now, other than head gasket changes, no issues.

Biggest differences between the 140 and 109: The lifter valley is weaker as it is a raw casting, and not finished.

The 140 block does not have a turbo oil drain drilled into it, but it can be drilled and tapped, that's what I had done.

The 140 block is a taller deck, so using 87 pistons will give you a little lower compression. This could affect spool up, but will allow you to run higher boost, truly a double edged sword.

Unless you plan on running a really big number, I wouldn't sweat it, if it is going to be too big of a headache to get your money back (shipping and tracking the guy down). I can certainly understand wanting to get what you paid for though.

I run a girdled 140 block, beat the snot out of it everytime I drive it and have run as fast as 10.40@132 with it. I have had it for 6 years now, other than head gasket changes, no issues.

did you do any prep work to the lifter area?

Thanks imjoesnuffy............appreciate the imput about the block....I am probably going to use it....hard to find another block that don't cost an arm and two legs.....I am a little concerned about the deck hight issue. Is it a big difference or are we talking 10 thousands or what? I am looking to run on the street so no big numbers. I would love to get about 500hp or may b a touch more. Girdle recommended? Thanks my gn brother.

The pistons have the same compression height no matter what year they are. The taller deck blocks uses a single steel shim head gasket that is less than .020 compressed. The weak area is the main webbing and caps like the 109. Not the lifter valley.

The pistons have the same compression height no matter what year they are. The taller deck blocks uses a single steel shim head gasket that is less than .020 compressed. The weak area is the main webbing and caps like the 109. Not the lifter valley.

Agreed. I was pointing out the difference between the 140 and 109 block. The mains would let go before the lifter valley failed.

Back