You can type here any text you want

85 Olds swap questions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BTLFEDSS

I have 1985 442,that i am thinking of doing the swap to.The plan is find a complete donor car, and swap the motor,tranny,radiator,fuel tank,A/C an some other stuff in to my car.My question is this to anyone who has done G Body swap.What holes in the frame,do i use for motor mounts.Can factory computer be swapped for my computer and put in the same location?What kinda wiring is needed to make my factory rally gauges work??
Thanks,BTLFEDSS

Just get a complete engine and wiring harness. If I had to do it again I would just sump the tank. Buy a new tank and run new lines to the engine. The trans should be fine, if you don't think it will last have the 442 one built up, it's all parts you would upgrade anyway.

The rear is the same too but with 3.73 gears instead of 3.42, shouldn't matter though.

You can use the factory ecm mounting position .

You will need to add power for the injectors at the fuse box, swap around a few pins and run a wire from the ecm to the fuel pump to run the pump.

If your radiator is fine I would keep it and get a oil cooler. GN one is 3 core with an extra oil cooler built in.

I don't know what you need to do to make the tach work, you may want to get hold of Caspers Electronics (GN Venom on here) and see if there is an interface or something so the tach can read the GN module.

You use the na 3.8 mounts and holes.

For the AC I think you will need to get a Turbo condenser (? part that goes in the heater box for the AC, I forget the name).

You could probably find an engine for around $2000 complete. Even "donor" cars are becoming scarce and pricy now.

If everything else in the car works and you just want to upgrade I would just find a running engine, and maybe have John (Caspers Electronics) build you a wiring harness if you aren't comfortable with the wiring.

I swapped mine into a regular Cutlass so I neede everything, your 442 already has a lot of the same parts.
Post a pic of it too so we can see what you are starting with.

I'm looking for just a Complete motor and harness now,thanks for the info.I will get some pics up as soon as the snow melts
BTLFEDSS

Back