You can type here any text you want

85 Regal Battery goes dead....crazy symptoms

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

blackgn1

Set on TSM Boost
1985 Buick Regal. Has been sitting in the drive for over two months. Start it once a week. Always starts. Moved it to the back yard today. Went to move it back. Battery dead!!! It just goes dead when it feels like it. May go dead first time it's moved. Could wait and do it days from now. Has been happening for months. Have cleaned all the ECU connections which fixed the fuel rich condition. Got to track this charging issue down. I want to drive this car. Haven't replaced the battery cables though they look good. Very low mileage car.

Have the battery load tested first to make sure it's good. You may have a parisitic drain on it but start with the battery and report back.:)

Might be a long shot, but happened to me on my 81 regal. Make sure all of your lights go off when you close your doors, hood, trunk and even the glove box. On my 81 regal, the trunk light switch went bad and stayed on all the time. I couldn't see it was on with the trunk closed, but it must have stayed on. Found it by disconnecting the battery and putting a small 6 amp charger on the cables. With everything closed and off it shouldn't be showing its charging. If it is, start pulling fuses till you find the culprit. Good luck.

Well I have watched it for a week. Battery tested good. I have left it in the driveway for over a week. Start it about every day or so. Starts right up. If I move the car even to the back yard the battery goes dead. I can't drive the car for the fact that it will leave me walking. I thought about the lights myself. Not sure where to start other than pull all the light fuses.

Disconnect the negative battery cabe and put a test light from the battery to the cable and see if it comes on. If it does then pull 1 fuse at a time until the light goes out. At that point you've narrowed it down to one circuit and can trace it from there.:)

Back