86-87 GN Top speed without factory chip.

HighMileage

Albany,NY
What was the top speed of a stock or near stock 86-7 GN without the factory speed limiting chip?

I believe the factory chip limited the car to 124mph.

Is there any data or vids showing top speed? I searched and came up with ‘no results’.

Thanks.

The tires were only rated to 125 back then. It’s hard to say what a “stock” car would run because there are normally some form of mods done. I wouldn’t recommend going that fast in one of these bricks. A good gust of wind can easily move a turbo Buick around a lot even under 100. That being said I have seen 145 in a Buick that was close to stock and 160 in a TTA. That was a very long time ago before I realized or thought about the damage you can do to other innocent people that happen to be in your path. Even if you have the best upgraded suspension the g body doesn’t belong over 124 mph on the street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m in a discussion with someone who says that a stock GN is just about maxed-out at 124.

What I’m trying to get to here is: If someone took the speed limiting chip out,what would be the top speed in a place like Bonneville,for example.

I find it hard to believe that a stock or mildly modified (exhaust upgrade) GN is out of wind at 124.

What I have to do is prove it.

Maximum speed is listed. 152-162. I had the 145 mph speedo on the peg for a while with nothing but a K&N and chip. Front end floats at that speed and a gust of wind is scary at those speeds on stock suspension

There’s a number of guys on here do over 160 mph in the 1/4 mile alone. And there has been a bonneville salt flats car that has been in the 200’s for sure. Matter of fact, the guys son had it up for sale here not too long ago. So, they’ll go faster than they ought. Or more accurately they’ll go faster than you really want to. That is, if you value life and limb anyways.