86 GN popping/backfires under boost

GNbythebay

I have a 1986 GN while under around 5-10 psi it makes a popping noise(My boost controller is set at 15 psi). I Heard this could be because of an old coil pack/spark plugs and wires but i just changed the spark plugs wires and coil pack. (I bought a ignition module too but cant find the location to install it:banghead:). What could be causing this? I also just installed the fuel pump and hot wire kit with 42lbs injectors with the tt chip and a fuel pressure regulator.

I have a 1986 GN while under around 5-10 psi it makes a popping noise(My boost controller is set at 15 psi). I Heard this could be because of an old coil pack/spark plugs and wires but i just changed the spark plugs wires and coil pack. (I bought a ignition module too but cant find the location to install it:banghead:). What could be causing this? I also just installed the fuel pump and hot wire kit with 42lbs injectors with the tt chip and a fuel pressure regulator.
The ignition module is under the coil pack. The popping noise could be caused by several issues...bad coil or ignition module...running too lean....blown head gasket. When did this popping sound start?

The ignition module is under the coil pack. The popping noise could be caused by several issues...bad coil or ignition module...running too lean....blown head gasket. When did this popping sound start?
The popping sound starts around 5-10 psi if i ease in to full throttle it does not do it as bad but when i punch it it pops almost every time. How could you tell if it is running too lean? i do not have a scanmaster

The popping sound starts around 5-10 psi if i ease in to full throttle it does not do it as bad but when i punch it it pops almost every time. How could you tell if it is running too lean? i do not have a scanmaster
Then get one. Once you get one, learn how to use it. It will save you thousands in repair and weeks of down time. Mikestertwo just ran by what the culprits usually are. Popping is bad, period!

Then get one. Once you get one, learn how to use it. It will save you thousands in repair and weeks of down time. Mikestertwo just ran by what the culprits usually are. Popping is bad, period!
for the time being do you have any suggestion of what it could be and how i could fix it? i plan on getting a scanmaster within the next two weeks.

this is under my coil pack and i am still stumped on where the module goes

Attachments

• Snapchat-2284092735460377566.jpg
    Snapchat-2284092735460377566.jpg
    798.2 KB · Views: 112
That's is an ignition module for a distributor dude. Make sure you specify turbo 3.8 when you're buying parts. Your best bet is to find someone near you to learn some of the basics from, and possibly borrow a known good coil and ignition module. It could be a ton of things from the MAF to a bad ground

Also it sounds like you need a fuel pressure gauge to make sure you are getting the correct ratio of boost to fuel and your base fuel pressure settings.

Add possible worn cam lobe to the list if it has a flat tappet.

Does it continue to pop if you stay in it?

I would not drive a turbo Buick without a scan master.
I bought my car bone stock three years ago with 17k miles including original tires and the first thing I did was install a scan master. I have no idea how one could drive a turbo Buick WOT without a scan master? I'd be terrified to try. Im afraid you are going to be worrying about a lot more than rough running in the near future if running blind. My car was not able to run knock free at 12lbs boost with the stock fuel pump.