You can type here any text you want

86 vs 87 Turbo performance question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

eagleguy

I like the look and badging on the 1986 T-Type WH1 Regal. I was curious how it compared to the 87 Turbo-T Regal performance wise. Also could someone tell me what the T-Type package consisted of in 86.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

eagleguy

Buick rated the 86 T-type and GN at 235 hp. In 87 they raised it to 245. However this was a marketing ploy as there was no real change to the engine.
The 86 t-type is rare only 2384 were built.
Standard equipment was AC, aluminum wheels, fixed mast antenna, cloth notchback seats. There were available in 11 different colors including black but not Sage. They also had a designer package which was a two tone paint (black and gray) that also came with a black front air dam and rear deck spoiler. Always wanted one of those..

My WH1 , I believe the chip programming was changed slightly for 87 ( more boost ). Only 463 WH1's in 86 , not made in 87 . Sam

DSCN0325.JPG
DSCN0327.JPG

About 111000 on the chassis , but it's been taken care of it's whole life . I think it might have had a frame off resto before I got it , because nothing I come across looks 29 years old , and I have had motor & trans out of the car !!

I'm with scgnx2 as to the 235hp ('86) and 245hp ('87) being bogus. Both Kenne-bell and ATR came up with 265hp for both years during their baseline testing when they started producing performance parts for these cars.

I'm with scgnx2 as to the 235hp ('86) and 245hp ('87) being bogus. Both Kenne-bell and ATR came up with 265hp for both years during their baseline testing when they started producing performance parts for these cars.

GM downplayed the HP ratings on the '86/'87 Turbo Regals so that the vaunted Corvette, GM's flagship car, would not look like the roach it was in those years. :LOL:

As far as the T-type (T= Touring not turbo) package was the same as the GN without the $635 paint and interior scheme.
Performance Touring suspension, I think better shocks and larger sway bars, springs were the same or slightly stiffer and the turbo V6. It wasn't really a whole lot different than a regular Regal, but yet it was a whole different beast.
Buick refered to the turbo 6 emblem, as power 6.

GM downplayed the HP ratings on the '86/'87 Turbo Regals so that the vaunted Corvette, GM's flagship car, would not look like the roach it was in those years. :LOL:

The 1987 corvette was rated at 240. Buick flipped them off at gave the GN 245. It pissed off Chevy's upper management. There was a lot friction between the brands back then. Buick then built the GNX :)

The change in platform of the Regal had been decided years before '87.

It's truly a wonder these cars were ever built.

I'd love to shake the hand of the guy who made these cars happen.

If I'm not mistaken, the 86 version of the Ttype may have offered more variants than the 87. (variations in colors and option packages)

Performance-wise there was no difference in 86 to 87. In fact, in one of Kirban's books (IIRC), he stated that some of the T's were faster than the GN's

Performance-wise there was no difference in 86 to 87. In fact, in one of Kirban's books (IIRC), he stated that some of the T's were faster than the GN's

I have heard this as well, but think it's due to slightly decreased weight, not sure.

Last edited:
Back