'87 GN AM/FM Cass - what is this wire conn for?

copo

Guys,

GM am/fm/cass with concert sound speaker in the door.

Can someone tell me what the black connector with the orange and brown wires are for that plug into a 2 prong white connector on the back right hand side of the radio?

If I disconnect it, the radio just has snow sound but when plugged in the connector the radio station and sound comes back. Why I ask is I'm installing a Sony am/fm/cass CD player that fits perfectly in my 87 GN and I soldered a store radio harness plug for the stock radio 3 connectors on the LH side of the radio.

I have a yellow wire from the CD player with a 15A fuse and I soldered the yellow wire from the radio harness kit and the wire from the kit is labelled 12Volt Battery/Constant.

The yellow wire from the kit has a male white 2 wire connector that is exactly like the one on the back right side of the radio with the medal clip where the brown and orange wire clip in with the black connector. But this yellow wire from the CD player 15A fuse protector has only 1 wire.

Do I connect the yellow wire to the black female connector that holds the brown and orange wire? Or should I run this yellow wire to the fuse box 12V batt or something that has a constant 12V? :confused:

OK I just found in another online diagram http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/images/wiring_images/4_speaker_stereo.jpg (not 87 GN) that the orange wire is for clock power on the black connector with the orange and brown wire and the brown is probably for the dimmer lights. My wire harness I bought has a orange wire that's labelled dimmer. So I guess the orange wire on the bought harness would connect to the brown wire on the black connector that's mounted on the rear of the radio. Correct?

thx in advance

On the two-wire plug, the factory orange wire is your constant power feed. Connect the aftermarket yellow wire to this factory orange. The brown wire is either illumination or dimmer, but I personally wouldn't even hook it up. I've never hooked up either orange wire on the aftermarket harness (orange or orange/white, one is illum. one is dimmer). I've heard of a few radio models having some "issues" with these wires hooked up, so I just tape them off.
It sounds like the harness you purchased automatically eliminates the dimmer. That's ok, just plug it into the factory connectors.
I just looked at the diagram you linked. Not sure what car it is for, but 98% of all GM cars use that same exact color scheme. In the front, the lighter of the two wires is positive for the speakers (tan being lighter than gray for LF, the rest are straight-forward), while the darker wire in each rear is positive.

Thx, I'm not going to connect the dimmer wire cause if I dim the IP, then I still want to see the radio display in full display.

That online diagram is correct for the all the g-body cars (turbo and non-turbo)

Use the orange wire for your constant (12v battery) power for your sony radio. The brown you will connect to the orange (dimmer) to your sony.

Brown is the parking lights and gray is the dimmer, you don't need to run a extra wire to the fuse box, the orange wire is adequate for up to 20amps.