87 GN Powermaster

Mercury7

Looking for input from you guys who have replaced their PM recently and or switched over to Vacuum.

1st - - where's the best place to get the PM these days?
Doesn't seem to be many vendors with them available currently.

I've read over some past threads and see the sense of both sides to convert or not convert depending on what you have and how you drive.

Has anybody recently converted over to Vacuum and found significant differences that made them wonder if they should have stayed with the PM?

Any real significant differences for those of you who go to the strip just occasionally and not hardcore racing?

Thanks for the input and opinions guys!!

Kirbans is where I'd get the PM, I haven't driven a GN with vacuum brakes, but I put a LC2 into an '87 Iroc w/ 4 wheel disc brakes (Vacuum) and they were pathetic, sure it stopped the car, but it didn't stop well. After my 4th accumulator needed replacing I went with hydroboost. Buddy of mine says he's going to replace the vacuum set up on a T to hydroboost now that he's driven mine, and he drove it when it still had the stock front brakes

after my 2nd powermaster failure I decided to quit chancing my life to a piece of junk and switched to hydroboost as well.

Thanks guys. Where would you go looking for a hydrobooster. I checked with powerbrake- drivetrain over in Pensacola but they no longer carry ours.

hydratech is what I will be using down the road. I'm going to install the vacuum first because I have it. The powermaster is a pos. Sell it to Kirban. The hydatech system is real nice but it is not cheap. The vacuum system should be fine though.Kirban has the booster that has the offset clevis so you don't need to change the brake pedal Don't forget the 89 Turbo Trans Am came with vacuum brakes. A lot of people don't change the prop valve and the stock one will not work with rear disc brakes. good luck

I would suggest to anyone trying decide between vacuum & Hydroboost to find someone nearby that have one or the other and see if you can drive it around the block. I pieced my Hydroboost together from a parts store w/ 84 GN part numbers, but used an 81 aluminum m/c for a Seville. To do it over, I'd go with a hydratech kit, I'd much rather have a custom look. But I have under $400 in my Hydroboost set up. Remember kirbans will give you a credit for shipping that POS PM to em

Thank you Roc87, Tom Tom Turbo, and Chopped39. Great Advice here as always!
Getting schooled on the HydraTech kit now.