88 monte ss tranny

usetaboost

SAY CAR RAMROD!!
what's different between this and the gn trans? It has blue tag but can't remember the code.

Both trannies are the 2004r OD. To the best of my knowledge, the GN trannies have a bigger (meaning better) shift servo, and a slightly better valve body. The GN trans runs a little higher line pressure, and has a firmer factory shift. That was done to help decrease overlap in between shifts, and give the gears better holding power. I've noticed GN trannies seem to have lower WOT shift points than what you'd find in a Monte SS. I think thats done to keep the engine in its powerband more, due to the turbo 6's hellish midrange torque.A stock 2004r can be rebuilt and easily upgraded to GN or even better specs in a days time if you know trannies.

FWIW, the same principles applied to the 700R4 in Corvettes, and AOD's used in the Thunderbird SuperCoupes...reprogrammed valve bodies for higher pressure and better servos for firmer shifts. Most 700R4's wont shift into OD at anything more than 3/4 pedal. My 84 Vette will hit 4th just fine when my foots in the carpet.:cool:

Hope this helps...:)

With a CK servo and recalibration the CZ code (MC SS) vb is the best one for a modded TR with heads, and cam. It is a much more lively vb calibration than the BR found in TR's. Kickdowns come at less throttle angle and the upshifts are later at WOT. Just what you want for a modded TR that has a bigger turbo. I run CZ code vb's in my cars. You need to run the CZ governor with the CZ vb or add a medium spring to the primary weight and switch the green gear to the orange drive gear so you speedo is accurate..

FWIW, the same principles applied to the 700R4 in Corvettes, and AOD's used in the Thunderbird SuperCoupes...reprogrammed valve bodies for higher pressure and better servos for firmer shifts. Most 700R4's wont shift into OD at anything more than 3/4 pedal. My 84 Vette will hit 4th just fine when my foots in the carpet.:cool:

Hope this helps...:)

The vb does not control line pressure. The pump regulator and boost valves do. Any 700 could be made to shift WOT 3-4.

The 86, 87 and 88 SS transmissions are coded CZ. (ironically, I have those 3 in my garage at the moment.) I just picked up a used 88 SS CZ to use while I build an 86 CZ.

On the tailhousing tag, the 87 and 88 SS CZ is coded (some digits)87(some digit)CZ(some digits)

Yeah that was the code. It has well under 100k on it according to the original owner. My plan was to pick it up for a spare or maybe build.

It's worth a couple hundred as a core so if you can get it cheap you are not out of anything.

Get those doors cleaned up yet?

ineedagn

Hell I haven't even got the frame washers done yet:rolleyes: . At the rate I'm going I'll be adding ANOTHER year to it. Haven't got anything done on the body either. I can at least say that I am at the point of complete dissasembly (as far as I'm gonna go). It's all down hill from here. I'm going to grab n go in spencer sunday to find stuff for all three cars so hopefully I can score some floor and quarter patches, and the rest of my body stuff.

As far as the tranny goes the cheapest I can get it is free;) . People just practically give these things away around here but it's not easy getting them. 95% of them are circle track cars and all parts end up going to scrap. The guy I'm getting it from is actually a car guy. He's been thinking about buying a real clean and nicely equipped GN or spring for a GNX. I'll convert him. I've been working on it:)