You can type here any text you want

9 Second Engine Build-Up: What Cam?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbonatr

More Cubes!
Here is the deal. I have decided to build a girdled engine for the GN to head her into the 9s. The engine that is in the car now runs great and has been mid-high 10s at 3660lbs. It has less than 10K miles on it. My plan is to stick the engine from the GN into my T-Type and make it a killer street car and use the 60K original mile engine in the T for the 9 second build-up.

I have all the goodies picked out for the 9 second build-up except the cam. PT70 GTQ, GN1s, hogged out lower manifold, etc. Can you guys give me some ideas on a cam that will be happy in the 9.50-9.80 range?

Well Bramford runs a 224/224 in the 9s so i guess that would take you in the right direction.

Originally posted by norbs
Well Bramford runs a 224/224 in the 9s so i guess that would take you in the right direction.

Norbs, are you sure Bamford runs the 224/224? I thought I saw him post a while back that it was a 218/218:confused:

Either way I'm sure the 224/224 could also be used for a 9 second build-up....

Originally posted by Louie L.
Remember , Bamford has the xtra cubes too.:eek:

Yeah but I'm not fully convinced the extra cubes matter much considering how fast Roy has run (remember Laz said stock 229 crank):):D

-EDIT

If you meant to imply that Bamford's motor having more cubes matters in terms of cam selection I do agree with you:cool:

I just ordered a cam from Dan at DLS today for my TSM motor and he set me up with a 215/215 cam for a non stroked motor.

Originally posted by turbonatr
How many cubes is Bamford running?

I "think" he has either a 247ci or a 249ci motor, but I could be wrong...... In TSM the largest cube motor you can run is 250ci....

Do you know what combination of bore and stroke he is using to get to his overall displacement? I am seriously considering stroking this engine.

fwiw,geno went 9's with a flat tappet 208.it now powers my hotair slug:cool: .

Originally posted by 86brick

If you meant to imply that Bamford's motor having more cubes matters in terms of cam selection I do agree with you:cool:

Yes thats what i meant.;)

A 30 over block with a 3.59 crank works out to just over 248 cubic inches. The 3.59 crank is kind of a drop-in item. To use a 3.625 crank would require some machine shop magic. These matters lead up to the Less Than 250 cubic inch TSM rule.

CRE in orlando. We got a 3.625 BMS crank in there with a 224/224. Car should make its debut at bradenton.

Originally posted by 86brick
Yeah but I'm not fully convinced the extra cubes matter much considering how fast Roy has run (remember Laz said stock 229 crank):):D

-EDIT

Yep! more cubes tend to make the cam effectively smaller. ie 224 in 231 may be like a 220 in a 247 etc.

In any event as far as Dave set-up vs Roy (Laz), Dave appeared to be producing 50-60HP more.....since he did have Alum heads & had to carry a minimum of 150# penalty.

Picking a cam also depends on where you want to run the engine RPM wise, Rear gear ratio etc. More RPM's normally produces more power, as long as you do not out rev turbo & fuel capabilities.

Joe

Originally posted by Joe Lubrant

In any event as far as Dave set-up vs Roy (Laz), Dave appeared to be producing 50-60HP more.....since he did have Alum heads & had to carry a minimum of 150# penalty.

No doubt Dave was making more power, but I don't think the extra cubes had much (if anything) to do with it! I personally think the fact that Dave is using those ported GN1 aluminum heads is the main reason he's making more power than Roy..... I guess we'll have to wait and see cause from what I've heard Roy will be stepping up from the Champion irons to the GN1 aluminums, but it will still be a little 234ci motor:cool:

Originally posted by Scott231
A 30 over block with a 3.59 crank works out to just over 248 cubic inches. The 3.59 crank is kind of a drop-in item. To use a 3.625 crank would require some machine shop magic. These matters lead up to the Less Tan 250 cubic inch TSM rule.

There is another decision I need to make, which stroke crank to run. This block will run a girdle and naturally spend some time in a machine shop. That being the case, I may just go with a 3.625 crank.

The next question, who is the best source for said crank?

Back