9 Second TURBO GTO....These cars are Flyin!

Both cars, the blue and the black are running a Squires Turbo systems kit with the optional front mount intercooler and a GT67 upgrade. I know the blue GTO was running 9 PSI when he did the 11.23 run, he was planning on turning the boost up to 12 PSI and running again. Maybe he did.

I'm trying to figure out who has the black GTO.

Originally posted by Pablo
Rear mount systems dont use intercoolers because the turbos stay cooler and the length of the pipe also acts to dissipate the heat generated.

They do use intercoolers, hence the reason that car has one. Also the actual turbo temperature being cooler doesn't matter very much, as air is heated when compressed. Thats why blower cars still use intercoolers.

i beg to differ, the vast majority of rear mount systems dont use intercoolers and keep reasonable intake temps, these particular cars are exceptions from what I have seen from the STS kits and btw i have seen one of these kits in person in action on a 02 T/A

I know that heat is generated by compression of the air but the exhaust being so much hotter as it enters the turbo certaninly transfers a good amount of heat to the inlet side aswell thats merely one aspect of the heating of the air which reduces the temps, the length of the tubing is the other.

The car is owned by Kenny, a fellow Cartek customer. It has a STS turbo with the GT67 turbo upgrade, and the optional FMIC. The car went mid 10s, I talked to Dave@Cartek, they did the install. The car also has a Cartek turbo cam and some other goodies, I'll talk to Kenny later and get all the details. Just makes me a little more tempted to turbo my '04......

You don't need an intercooler below 6 PSI. My intakes temps tend to be around 15 degrees above ambient at only 5 psi with out an intercooler. A lot of STS cars will also just go to alcohol injection for 7 or 8 PSI. The air compression creates a lot of heat begining at about 7 PSI which negates the affect of the rear placement. The turbo still runs plenty hot being back there, the intake temps are about 800 degrees versus 1200 degrees for a front mount turbo.

These two GTOs have intercoolers because they are running at a higher boost level. The base GTO boost level is about 5 PSI. These guys are almost doubling their horsepower numbers at 9/11 PSI.

Yeah, I've seen a few of these too. I know they don't often use the intercooler. The transfer of heat from the exhaust housing to the compressor housing is not that substantial in comparison to the amount of heat absorbed by compressing the air. The length of the piping surely helps dissapate some heat.

I keep hearing people badmouth these systems, when they don't know what they are talking about. It kills me. Anytime someone does something that goes against the grain, people bash it. The inlet piping isn't that long: Think about it: the car is what, 14'? The turbo is about 18" in from the back, the throttle body is a good 2' from the front, making a distance of about 10.5'. take the piping off your front mount, like pablo said, and I bet its within a couple feet difference. These are great street systems, easy installation and easy removal. Sure, the lag is going to be worse (I've heard its actually very minimal), but on the street its not going to matter.

I think the only thing I'd like to see addressed is the use of the factory steel pipe feeding the exhaust turbine. Its going to rust, and send bits of rust into the wheel at high rpms. So far it doesn't seem to be a problem.

I thought about one of these systems for my Z28. I think if I got one I'd build a stainless sheild for the turbo to keep it drier and more protected from theft and nosy racers.

WHATS WITH THIS 9 POUND NONSENSE

MAN THOSE GUYS ARE ACTING LIKE 12 POUNDS IS A LOT? TURN THAT BOOST UP TO 20-25 THEN WHEN IT BLOWS LOWER THE COMPRESSION ON THE REBUILD FOR A LIL MORE RELIABILITY. IM SURE THE BOTTOM END CAN TAKE IT WITH NO PROBLEM 6BOLT MAINS THATS THE WAY TO GO. CANT WAIT FOR THE 07 GTO,IT WILL LOOK REAL SWEET SITTING NEXT TO MY BLACK 67 GTO. READ A RUMOR THAT THERE IS GOING TO BE SOME DRASTIC CHANGES TO THE PLATFORM FOR 08:mad:

12 lbs. with "high" compression is alot. Like 20+ lbs. with low compression. I assume they are trying to do this on pump gas hence the lower boost setting.

12 PSI is about 800 horsepower, 25 PSI is good for about 1200 horsepower in a LS1. 9PSI is way beyound the stock bottom end on the LS1. They are reliable for about 600 pounds of torque at the most. These are alumum blocks with farely light weight bottom ends.
This aren't iron blocks with forged bottom ends.

The blue GTO is running on a stock motor while the black GTO has a forged bottom end. The black was running race gas while the blue was on pump gas. The blue GTO is a daily driver.

I'm talking to Kenny right now, he ran on pump gas 93 octane. The blue car also has an aftermarket cam on a stock bottom end.

From what I know the blue car ran 8-9lbs on the 11.2 run and has a LS6 style Cam,3000stall. -I did the Turbo install.

Hear say about the black car is that it has a forged lower end(don't know compression)Some head work,Cam??,10lbs on pump gas and a questionable Methenol kit.

For a comparison I built a 01 Z28 with a forged lower end,small Cam,ported heads and he pulls 700rwhp on pump gas-daily driver,no tricks. So these STS kit's are no joke.

Slowhawk, I talked to you at the NEBRA dyno day and you mentioned the STS kits. Since you have direct experiance with them, can you put the "lag" issue to in perspective and have any installationed turbos had issues with the turbo hitting anything because of the location or the filter getting clogged, etc.

The lag is comparable to my GN.On an Auto you don't notice it at all.In a standard it doesn't fully spool till 3500rpm,then the hit is like a GN but it doesn't weese out on the top end.I haven't had any problems with the Filter being in the back of the car.They are in a good enough place to not let all the road crap hit them.

I know the Blue GTO can build full boost quickly at the line without a problem.
As for the people thinking 10lbs isn't much boost.On a LS1 we can get 700rwhp/660rwtq with 10lbs.

So the black car went mid-10s, not 9s? Either way, that's damn impressive. Big displacement + boost = :D

The concern about lag with the rear-mounted turbos wouldn't be due to the discharge piping, but the intake. Just as the long discharge run is considered an advantage by acting as an intercooler, the long intake run is a disadvantage considering you want the exhaust entering the turbine to be hot.

The long run of straight discharge piping will only have frictional pressure drop and a greater elevation change from the turbo outlet to the TB inlet. A typical system with a frontmount will have less elevation change form the turbo outlet, but more pressure drop due to bends and piping diameter changes, along with a similar legth of total piping.

I've been reading on LS2@GTO.com. Pretty interesting things are being done with these cars. I've heard about that rear end turbo system being installed in only a few hours. Pretty revolutionary compared with all that is required to install a conventional turbo kit. They've mentioned guys using these things year round, in the snow in Denver etc without problems. I gotta think having the turbo under the back of a real street car is asking for trouble. There's gotta be more to that car than just a bolt on turbo kit though. It's not a popular sentiment, but I love that car. Ugly and can be made nasty fast. A lot in common with the TB

There's a article on installation on these rear mounted turbos from Squires Turbo Systems and expected hp gains in last months Chevy Hi Performance magazine. These things can literally be bolted on in a couple of hours.

Almost everyone I know ends up putting an intercooler on the STS kit and sees great gains. On low boost it's true you don't usually need one but you CAN benifit from one. Or the meth injection.

Lag also isn't an issue unless you go big like I did. LOL