9 Second TURBO GTO....These cars are Flyin!

TurboRegal84

Staff member
I am really impressed with what the aftermarket has provided for these cars. A few weeks ago there was a Blue GTO running high 10's at Atco...Today there was a Black car clicking off high 9 second passes, and some LOW LOW 10 second passes. These cars are QUICK if you add a Turbo.

The black car today appeared stock, but sounded great. The car flat out hauled as soon as the Turbo got to full boost.

Here are a few pics:

Picture of the Turbo set-up under the rear of the car.

Attachments

• gt3.jpg
    gt3.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 924
NICE!

I cant believe how well it responded with the turbo, any idea what else is done to the car?

any videos of the turbo GTOs? post them! :)

BW

So it is rear mounted. What are the specs on the car? Is it a stock motor or has everything been worked. That is impressive!

Originally posted by mygrain
Intercooled?

Yep you can clearly see the FM in the first pic....

This is the first STS turbo car that I know of that has run 9's (don't even think I've seen one in the 10's either) as well as the first GTO that has run 9's as well!

Anymore details about the car Herb?? I didn't see this posted on LS1tech.com which surprises me...

Auto or stick? What other mods does has he done?

I've seen F-body's with that rear mounted Turbo. You would think that lag would be a big issue but it really isn't from what I've been told.

However, Ground Clearance is much more crucial!

Looks like a mighty small turbo to be a 9sec car,are you sure about this info.....
Might have to get me a caviler(sp)

I have no specs on the car.....Just saw it go fast!

I KNOW I saw a 10 Sec Run out of the car. I thought I saw 9.9 something on the traps when the car went thru. I hope the person that owns this car posts over on LS1Tech or another forum so we can get the exact times.

Hopefully someone comes up with a Video as there were several people there taking Video. If not...don't believe me!

One thing is for sure with the car.....With basicly a pipe coming right out of the Turbo For the exhaust...The car sounded GREAT!

I agree that the low position of the turbo might be a problem. I haven't seen any pics of someone that damaged one from that location. Has anyone seen one damaged? If your running a low 10 or high 9 second how much of a problem can lag be?

People talk about the turbo position being a problem, but lets face it. THAT CAR RUNS 9s!!!! :eek:

This is the blue car.
It's gone 11.23@122mph...I don't think he's in the 10's yet.
Haven't heard about the black car...you sure it went 10's (or 9's!?!)?
S.

The lag from a rear mount turbo isnt going to be any more (if at all) than a normally mounted turbo with an average front mount intercooler.

Rear mount systems dont use intercoolers because the turbos stay cooler and the length of the pipe also acts to dissipate the heat generated.

The actual volume of a rear mount intake piping system is comparable to your average front mount intercooler.

There are lots of people running around with rear mount STS kits now without problems

with that much torque on hand from the 5.7L('04) or 6.0L('05) V8, lag might actually be a good thing to help get that thing off the line and not send the tires up in smoke.