95 3800 Supercharged in RWD??HELP

B

brew

I'm lookin at a possibility of installing a 3800 Supercharged motor into my 1980 Chevy Monza. I have a GN TH200-R4 trans to mate to it.

I have a fair amount of fab experience, just wondering if anyone has some good feedback for or against this swap. Like a pro or con thing.

So far looks like the intake may be an issue. The air enters the intake at the back, so clearance with the firewall may be an issue.

Really, any input will be appreciated. Thanks, Brew

isn't the supercharger going to be facing the wrong way too???

I would like to see somebody do this..I have a 97 GS and the supercharged 3800 is a great, smooth motor!

You can put a pretty sharp elbow on the throttle body if you need to; or make it take inlet air from the cowl area.

Your major issue will be the trans.; the 200 won't bolt up. I would look for a late Camaro 3800 4L60E (that's what I assume they're using behind these). I don't know if the bellhousing differs between the NA 3800s used in the F-body RWD applications and the supercharged 3800 FWDs.

Failing that, I would look at a 700-R4 from a 60 degree Chevy V6 (2.8, 3.1) as I've heard they're easily modified to work behind some of the FWD motors.

Agree with the tranny stuff, but you may have trouble getting the computer controlled tranny to work. I would also recomend a seriesII engine, more power and more aftermarket.

replies to replies

I don't understand what you mean about the supercharger being backwards. And will somebody please clarify what a series 2 versus a what a series 1 is. Thanks, brew

Starter Mounting

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the starter on the opposite side of the block on a FWD block? What kind of swap concerns will this cause?

Originally posted by blackbanditz
isn't the supercharger going to be facing the wrong way too???

no its not.... go look at a new cobra or lightning, they draw air to the back of the engine where the eblow bends to the inlet of the super charger

ok, cool, i was just wondering. i guess that means that motor will fit in to a Fiero then eh???

i seen a guy with one in a fiero bolted to a stick shift and not being able to drive it well he ran low 13's with it and motor was stock.

Re: Starter Mounting

Originally posted by SSHOLLEY
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the starter on the opposite side of the block on a FWD block? What kind of swap concerns will this cause?

Is it on the opposite side as the V8? Yes. Does it have to be switched? No, Olds and Pontiac engine have always had their starters on the left side. A series II is 96 and up. They have more power, a bigger supercharger, and more available modifications.

Series II

Series 2 does sound cooler, but just the same, I have this Series one on hand and it's useless behind a bum tranny. I'll keep you all updated as i decide what to do, in the mean time, thanx for all the input. Keep the feedback coming!

The 3800 PCM does require a number of signals from the tranny.

Some of them are:
VSS Vehicle Speed Sensor
Input Speed
Gear
The Traction Control system is also connected IIRC.

I have a complete set of Shop manuals for the '99, if there are any specifics shoot me an email, and I'll see what I can look up.

Mike

I checked out a supercharged 3800 myself to put in a rearwheel drive car but in my opinion the blower sits to far backwards. it's no problem in a front drive setup because there's a lot of space over the trans but the firewall in a rwd car means that even if you would make a sharp bended connection on the rear of the blower to attach the throttlebody the engine would sit too far forward to my liking. Ofcourse if you have a Fiero you don't have that problem because it's a frontwheel drive setup in the back of the car. The only difference is that the rearwheels don't steer.

Actually, GM already does make a RWD version of both the series I and series II motors. The sell them over in Australia.

I can't remember the name of the cars and trucks that they come in, but they are plentiful. If you can do a google search for Australian salvage yards, you can either call one up, or email them, and they can give you more info.

Probably wouldn't hurt to search for GM's Australian websites, and figure out which vehicles carry the RWD motors.

BC.

Originally posted by HOT ROD
The question still is, do they use the supercharger???

yup, Holden still uses the 3800SC engines that Buick and Pontiac use, and theyre RWD :D it would be kinda cool to import one from a Aussie scrap yard or something.

I just joined this site and stumbled across this thread. For the last coupla years I have been rodding a '36 Chevy. I have installed a '95 Pontiac supercharged 3800 and a 4L60E. You can see it at http:\\davidnsandy.home.attbi.com The engine bolts right up to the trans but the bolt holes in the plate/converter are slightly off (fixed that with a rat tail file). I had to mfgr a 'cradle' for the front motor mounts and fab the flywheel cover, since the starter IS on opposite sides. I also had to move the A/C compressor from under the left head(interfered with steering) to over it, then move the coils to the rear of the right head. While I can start the engine it has not moved under its own power yet. At first I thought I could drive the trans with the PCM but decided that was a bad idea so I purchased a TCI trans computer. Expensive but looks like it will be a fun toy.

Almost forgot... While the intake does point backwards, I found that two 3" 90 degree rubber plumbing elbos, and a short length of 3" ABS black plastic pipe mount perfectly to the intake and a K & N filter, while taking up just 6" more space. In my Case. I cut two holes in the firewall and built a tunnel on the backside of the firewall.

Dave