You can type here any text you want

9th digit in GN serial number…("check digit")

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

toofastforyou

2FAST4U
The 9th character in our GN's serial number is called a "check digit"… but what is it for? What purpose does it serves? On my car, I have an "8", but over the years I've seen just about any number can be had in that location.o_O I've tried several times to find out the use for that check digit without any luck. Even "Kirban's guide to 1986 and 1987 Buick Turbo Regals" don't have any explanation for it. It does say it's indeed the "check digit", but nothing else about it.

Claude.

I found this on "VIN NUMBER DECODER"

The
Check Digit

Trust me, it starts to get easier to follow along from this point on.

The next three VIN digits are consistent among all manufacturers and pretty straightforward.

The ninth VIN digit exists to tell computers when there has a been an operator error, type of input, when entering a VIN. Errors happen often with alphanumeric VIN's and this number has saved my rear end a few times.

It's sort of a complicated mathematical computation to figure the check digit and I'm no Einstein, so please just know it keeps mistakes in check.

Thanks "whitehot" and "TurboBob" for explaining. I must admit that even after having looked at the link Bob provided, I find it quite complicated to understand but at least, I get an idea.
Claude.

basically you all all the other digits together and arrive at a number to put in that spot. that way you can check if the VIN is valid
by re-running that calculation.

B

Claude
Never mind the 9yh digit! ;) You got that bad azz hot rod ready for BG?? :D ................oh but I learned something else about my Buick, thanks guys.

Back