A/C, no A/C, A/C, no A/C

turboaddict2

Recently I converted to R134a. Sometimes the A/C is nice and cold other times, its not regardless of the weather. Today I turned it on and it was nice and cold. Drove around for 20 minutes and still cold. Then I got into traffic and decided to turn off the A/C, since my car goes up to 200 in hot weather. As the traffic cleared up I turned the A/C back on and then @#it, no cold air. I even kept on turning the A/C off and on and still no cold air. Whats causing it not to blow cold air? I'm sure the pressure switch is still good.

Sounds like you're losing 12 volts to your AC system. One good possibility you're problem is in the ignition switch down on your column. Take off the cover and next time your air doesn't blow cold, sqeeze or manipulate the bundle of wires going into the plug on the switch down your column. If you start blowing cold, try cleaning up the connection or replace the switch.

Check compressor clutch

Check if the compressor clutch is coming on.
Make sure your getting power to the clutch.
If no power to clutch, check for power at cycling switch.
If you have power to clutch and it's not engauging, try to tap it with something. If it engauges you need to reset the clutch gap.
Had something like this happen before. Seems some genius at GM decided to change the clutch from shim type to press fit. If the gap is to wide clutch sometimes work, sometimes no work.
If no power to cycling switch, check relay.
You seem to have an electrical problem. If you need a wire diagram send me your email and I'll send you one.

If your compressor is not cutting on try tapping the relay on the pass side fender well. I think it is the middle one. I just had a simalar problem and it was that relay. $12 bucks at the auto parts store!

Matthew

Had the EXACT same Problem!
The wire going to back of AC (single wire) was not a good connection. A little crazy glue & 2 years later!
It's a round looking plug at back!!
Hope this helps! Fixed my problem!!:D :cool:

Re: Check compressor clutch

Originally posted by digorok
Check if the compressor clutch is coming on.
Make sure your getting power to the clutch.
If no power to clutch, check for power at cycling switch.
If you have power to clutch and it's not engauging, try to tap it with something. If it engauges you need to reset the clutch gap.
Had something like this happen before. Seems some genius at GM decided to change the clutch from shim type to press fit. If the gap is to wide clutch sometimes work, sometimes no work.
If no power to cycling switch, check relay.
You seem to have an electrical problem. If you need a wire diagram send me your email and I'll send you one.
After reading this I am having a problem with the AC, the clutch will not engage, checked the relay, bypassed the high press switch and checked all of the wiring that I know of, if you don't mind could you send me a wiring diagram of the system. Thanks Jr.

Diagram

Sent diagram through email.
Relays always give trouble. If your careful you can open it up and clean the contacts. Also clean all that black gunk the factory put on the terminals off and use dilectic grease insted.
The switch on the compressor with the round plug and two terminals is a high pressure switch. They do leak and go bad sometimes.

I'm having the exact same problem after spending a bundle to have a shop do a 134a conversion and install a new compressor!:mad: It's been well over 100 degrees for weeks where I am and I'm really peeved about this. But the suggestions here are helpful so I'll try 'em out and see what happens. Thanks!

A/C shops

Lots of shops out there that think they know who to repair A/C systems. Most don't. Some just looking to make a fast buck. Lots of horror stories from people who took it in to be repaired only to be talked into converting to r134.
Look for a shop with a good reputation and pay the price. You'll be happier in the long run.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I checked my system over last night and found that the compressor isn't engaging. I can see the clutch "pulsing" repeatedly against the compressor as if it's trying to engage, and the AC relay clicks each time this happens. The fan also powers up briefly each time this happens. I tried tapping the front of the compressor clutch with a wrench and this didn't help any. Once in a while it will engage partially but make a screetching/scraping sound as if it's not hooking up fully.

What's going on here?

Frozen compressor???

You may have a frozen compressor or be low on charge.
Try turning the conpressor with the engine off. A 9/16 socket should work. Don't force it. If it turns, check the charge, if not, you'll need to, check for leaks, repair any leaks, flush the system, replace the compressor, accumilator, o-tube, and anything that is leaking, add oil and recharge, check for leaks.
Could also be way overcharged, have to much oil in the system, or the O-tube could be plugged, but with the screeching noise, sounds like the compressor is frozen.

The a/c condensor is inefficient after it is heat soaked, does it cool on the highway?after 5 minute driving?

Originally posted by turboaddict2
Recently I converted to R134a. Sometimes the A/C is nice and cold other times, its not regardless of the weather. Today I turned it on and it was nice and cold. Drove around for 20 minutes and still cold. Then I got into traffic and decided to turn off the A/C, since my car goes up to 200 in hot weather. As the traffic cleared up I turned the A/C back on and then @#it, no cold air. I even kept on turning the A/C off and on and still no cold air. Whats causing it not to blow cold air? I'm sure the pressure switch is still good.

EARTH TO TURBOADDICT2........EARTH TO TURBOADDICT2........

WELL?...........DID YOU FIX IT? :confused:

Oh man so sorry for the late response:eek: . Haven't checked back on this thread for a while. I haven't gotten a chance to check it out. But I did check if the pressure switch connection was good and clean(and it was). Haven't tapped the middle relay on the passenger side well yet( I promise I will!). Haven't open the column cover yet.....don't think I ever did....how do I open the column cover? 1ARUNEM, I didn't know there was another pressure switch at the condenser:confused: . I'm gonna have to check again to see if the clutch engages.

STill puzzled why when I take the car out and turn on the a/c for the first time that it works fine. Then when I turn it off, because of traffic, then turn it back on it doesn't blow cold. Well I'm just gonna have to test it again tomorrow on my way to work.

Cover under dash to access column. Look at the other stuff first. Ignition switch is up on top of the column and ac power source inside the car.

red regal t - would you know what color wire the ac supply voltage on the column is ? thanks

Well, my problem is fixed! This morning I took the car back to the shop that did the 134a conversion and compressor install. Before I could even walk into the shop, the mechanic who did the work came over and in two minutes figured out that the cycle switch was bad (the one that attaches to the receiver/dryer). He jumped the connector for the switch and the compressor fired right up like normal. Replaced the switch and all is cool again! :cool:

Thanks everybody!

Is that the switch by the accumulator on passenger side? I forgot how to do the pressure switch test. I know you have to jumper it and if the compressor turns on then the switch is bad?