a different question about propane

denn454

turbo swimmer
i'm thinking about either alochol or propane again, this 110 octane at $3.75 when i want to go fast has got to stop. I'm torn between alochol and propane, the alochol is cheaper to start with, propane is cheaper in the long run. the big thing i really like about alochol is how it cleans out the engine, from what i've heard it des as good of a job as you would do takign the engine apart and cleaning it yourself. does propane help or hurt the engine? i couldnt' imagine it cleaning it out much, my biggest fear is that it would hurt the engine like nitrous can. I dont' see that happening sence it isn't highly combustable. its also been a while since i've looked at doing this, i know alochol raises the octane of the fuel, propane does the same thing right?

Running your motor at increased boost levels will shorten its life. Knock or not.

The one issue bout propane is keeping bottle pressure especially when the outside temps drop. A bottle warmer is needed.

They both work well at controlling detonation. And are being used by a lot of owners.

I'm biased on alcohol, and my cost on alky is less than 4-5 dollars a month. Methanol is 2.50 a gallon. I consume approx 2 gallons tops including a couple trips to the track a month. So while propane may be cheaper, we're talking penny's. Let alone some cut theyre methanol 50 percent..so it reduces $$$ big time. But at a couple bucks a month..

Some alcohol kits cant use methanol and require denatured which can go for as high as 11 dollars a gallon due to the pump used.. Depending where you live. At 11 dollars a gallon, yes there is a savings issue. So if you decide on alky, do your pump decisions wisely.

HTH

Well put Razor. When I decided to go with ProPain over Alky, nobody was really using methanol so I calculated the cost of denatured (at least $7 a gallon) along with more frequent fillups. I wanted in car control so the only option WAS the SMC kit, and now that has changed also.

As for the cleaning effects of either, I think it is somewhat of a moot point since not too many of us drive slow enough to allow an engine to get all carboned up like your grandmothers would.

The propane will not hurt anything at all unlike nitrous. If you inject too much, you simply run rich, no damage done.

As for the propane "raising octane" well yes, it does. It works a little different than Alky but the end result is nearly the same. Alky cools the intake charge and then resists a little detonation in the combustion chamber, Propane mixes completely with the air coming into the cylinder (unlike the gasoline) and provides a very even mixture and a better flame to burn all the fuel in the combustion chamber and is 110 octane itself.

The end result is nearly the same with either propane or Alky as people are running nearly the same exact times with either as they are with 110 octane fuel so the choice is yours.