You can type here any text you want

A few pics from my Strange 33 spline axle+rear disc install...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

kidglok

Balls Deep
on the left is the 33 spline strange, next to the old moser 28 c-clip axle.
IMG_4575.jpg

another pic of the 33 strange axle
IMG_4581.jpg

mating up the ring gear to the spool
IMG_4582.jpg

spool in place, shimmed to about .008" backlash
IMG_4588.jpg

pressing the bearings on the axle, these are designed with a unit bearing for oval track and street/strip applications
IMG_4580.jpg

bolting together the eliminator kit, backer plate for caliper mount can be seen as well
IMG_4592.jpg

all mounted up, one piece rotor w/4 piston caliper
IMG_4594.jpg

pads are easy to change as well, including with the kit are hawk softer pads for street use and trap speeds under 150mph :eek:
IMG_4596.jpg

special thanks to pacecarta, who did all the work while i drank coffee and took pictures :)

Charlie do you think I'll be ok with the regular cardone master cylinder I have on there now? It's .94 bore and strange recommends 1.125

I already have the prop valve for 4 wheel disc

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

How do you find it on the street? When my clutches were going on my Eaton posi, I was contemplating going with a spool, but I had a lot of guys tell me that I will not like the feel of it on the street. While turning it you can feel it lugging down the motor along with the notchy feeling of it keeping both tires spinning at the same speed. What's your take?

How do you find it on the street? When my clutches were going on my Eaton posi, I was contemplating going with a spool, but I had a lot of guys tell me that I will not like the feel of it on the street. While turning it you can feel it lugging down the motor along with the notchy feeling of it keeping both tires spinning at the same speed. What's your take?

I haven't driven it yet, still waiting on rear brake lines. I've heard the same as you, but hopefully with big tires it won't be so bad

Charlie do you think I'll be ok with the regular cardone master cylinder I have on there now? It's .94 bore and strange recommends 1.125

I already have the prop valve for 4 wheel disc
It may be ok so I'd try it first. If it doesn't work the way you want then change it.;)

It may be ok so I'd try it first. If it doesn't work the way you want then change it.;)

That's what I was thinking :)

Another note: people recommend a 2lb residual for rear disc that had drums, but it seems to me that it is only required when the master cylinder is located below the calipers?

That's what I was thinking :)

Another note: people recommend a 2lb residual for rear disc that had drums, but it seems to me that it is only required when the master cylinder is located below the calipers?
Not exactly. The pressure on a caliper has a higher need for pressure than on a drum when the pedal is pressed. The drum has springs that have to be over come to apply, but the caliper has the rubber seal which pulls the piston back slightly when you get off the pedal. If you put the residual valve in it keeps the pads slightly closer to the rotor for a better feel and faster reaction of the brakes.;)

Not exactly. The pressure on a caliper has a higher need for pressure than on a drum when the pedal is pressed. The drum has springs that have to be over come to apply, but the caliper has the rubber seal which pulls the piston back slightly when you get off the pedal. If you put the residual valve in it keeps the pads slightly closer to the rotor for a better feel and faster reaction of the brakes.;)

Ahh I see

Here is a shot from the inside with the brake line hooked up. These are 16x9.5 GTA's with a 4.5" backspace

Fittings are 3/8-24 I.F. female to -3an male (from stock lines)

Brake lines are -3an female on both ends (calipers have -3an male fittings)

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick1369094571.444438.jpg

Yummy. Looks awesome.....wish I didn't run outta cash...the rear end and brakes are last on my list...can't wait to install something like this!!! /jealous

thanks for positive input guys

it drives fine on the street, the only time you can really feel the tires chirping are on sharp turns and tryin to back up into a spot.

What changes had to be made to the rear end housing to mount the caliper mount?

What changes had to be made to the rear end housing to mount the caliper mount?

have to cut the ears off where the drum backer plate would mount because they hang over the center a bit, other then that nothing

Back