A kill I wasn't sure I would post GT vs GN

JimP

I pondered posting this but it was a great moment for any car guy. I spent this last weekend visiting family North of Toronto. My cousin owns a pristine 88 Mustang GT. It is supercharged, has PP heads, gears, Tremec Trans, cam, intake, newly added Alky and other supporting mods. Running 12 psi of boost.

I found this car for my cousin about 12 years ago. It was completely stock and low miles. He wanted one because I owned one at the time but wouldn't sell him mine. After installing his Alky we took the car out for a spin Saturday evening. We traded seats and now I find myself in the drivers seat. We come off of Highway 404 to Green lane. and head west. A few minutes down we are putting along and talking, behind us there are several cars closing in on us fast.

I see what I think is a GN or TR in the rear view but I think no way. (I currently own mid 11's 87 GN). What happens next is unbelievable to me. I find myself behind the wheel of a GT and beside a GN. Not sure if anybody here owns the car. My cousin is all smiles from ear to ear, and says drive it like you own it, or stole it I don't care either way, I'm just glad your behind the wheel.

It's cool out, the windows are up and I bring up the revs. I hear the GN spool against the brake and think now it's on. I now know what it feels like to be the other guy sitting beside the legendary GN. Light goes green. GN is out front by a door. The Mickey e/t's on the GT grab and I grab a handful of secong gear just shy of 6,000 rpm's. Now in second we are bumper to bumper, top of second we are pulling. I don't lift and grab third off of the rev limiter. We are now about 1 car length ahead and still pulling. At the top of third I let off. My right foot is shaking, the adrenaline is pumping. The light ahead is about to change we go through the GN stops. There was no round two. This had to be one of my top ten moments behind the wheel of any car.

My cousin was all smiles, I told him to deflate his ego and not get any ideas. His car has never been to the track and has never been on a dyno. If I had to guess I would say it's a solid mid to high eleven second car.

Thanks for reading. I have no intention of offending anyone. I am a fan of both of these fine cars. I sold my GT to buy my GN. Today I wish I owned both. That will come soon as I have my eye on a pristine 1990 1 owner coupe.

Attachments

• Mustangrearsmall.jpg
    Mustangrearsmall.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 439
I know its stupid, I like that story. I have sold my mustang to buy a GN as well. I have a buddy with a real nice 89 coupe, that I envy. 200 shot on a high winding small block is alot of fun!!! We are all car guys and I have a place for the stangs to. Usually in the rear view though!!;)

I sold my 2004 Cobra to buy my GN.......at times I wish I had it back, it was an awesome car! And reliable!

Looks like a nicely prepared car. It just had more of a package than that particular GN. Maybe next time. Good kill though. We can't win them all and credit should go where it's due.

sounded like a nice race, mustangs are awesome cars, the problem is everybody and their mother has one, i love the shelby GTH ( the rental car from hertz ) i drove that thing from miami to north carolina when i picked up the engine block for my gn:D , it sounds great and ran decent, but the looks were killer!

Attachments

• Picture 140.jpg
    Picture 140.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 424
  • Picture 039.jpg
    Picture 039.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 426
nice race! i love a good, close, fast, adrenaline-pumping race like that. no other feeling like it, especially when you come out ahead! maybe it'll motivate that buick owner to take his car to the next level!!!

Good kill!! Its all in fun anyway. Guess I have the best of 3 worlds. Just need a GN to seal the collection.:tongue: