A quick guide to taking car pictures

Tonight I was trying to take some shots of my car. I'm not sure if these are ok by your standards but I'd like your opinion???

Image125.jpg

Image126.jpg

DSCF0382.JPG

Oh, look at that garbage can and the tree coming out of the roof on these pictures! :eek:

Image129.jpg

Image122.jpg

Those shots look good, the tree is barely noticeable and the garbage can could be easily cloned out. The lighting is good and the only thing I would have done is turned off the headlights and just left the parking lights on. I guess I would have also sat on the ground and took some straight on shots of the car.

Its warming up here and I have my GN dusted off for another season fo racing. I know a few "dancers" that may be into taking some pictures next to my car. If not, I guess I will just try and shoot some more just to keep a record of all the stuff I have done from last season to this season.

Turbo1dr, try taking those shots again when its a clear blue sky day, it will make the car pop better too since there's alot of gray in those shots with the car, the concrete, the sky is gray and in turn makes the water reflection gray. When the sky is blue it will make the color of the car stand out..just be careful of the sun angle.

Awesome tips

I just want to thank you for the tips.

After reading your post, even just the tire angle/placement improves the photos a lot.
I have also noticed to pay attention to the shadows on the lower section of the car.

Turbo1dr, try taking those shots again when its a clear blue sky day, it will make the car pop better too since there's alot of gray in those shots with the car, the concrete, the sky is gray and in turn makes the water reflection gray. When the sky is blue it will make the color of the car stand out..just be careful of the sun angle.

Here they are again in the sun and at the local park. Better? My camera is just a old 5MP "point and shoot". It can't do the depth of field and other fancy stuff.

Image27.jpg

Image30.jpg

Image31.jpg

Image33.jpg

Image38.jpg

Image37.jpg

Image41.jpg

Image40.jpg

None of them took a dump on the car....and people were feeding them. It was almost like that Hitchcock movie "The Birds"!:eek:

Image45.jpg

Here they are again in the sun and at the local park. Better? My camera is just a old 5MP "point and shoot". It can't do the depth of field and other fancy stuff.
Yeah, those have some good color in them, much better! The water will change to deeper and darker colors depending on the what position the sun is in. When the sun is behind you and in the evening, low sun, the water will be darkest since the sky in the reflection will be a deep blue (provided there are little to no clouds), and if there is still plenty of sun to light up the car, those make killer shots.

Cool thread!

I might as well get in on this, What do you think of these? A good friend of mine likes to do this for a hobby, he loves cars and loves taking pictures!

Camera: Nikon D3

Scot W.

This pic is an action shot taken on the "Tail of the dragon" just after it rained. In this shot I was doing about 45-50mph in a 20mph turn in the rain! Car stuck like glue!!! ;) I like the rain coming off the car on the angle, kind of shows how fast I was taking the curves!
img_5682.jpg

3975050526_f78f01798c_o.jpg

3974285607_7283df0c95_o.jpg

Below are a few pic's of my old 1986 GN that was also taken by the same guy. The new owner of this car is on this board and it now has a stroker motor. ;) Jim I hope you don't mind!
D30_5191web.jpg

D30_5111web.jpg

D30_5119web.jpg

And my Favorite pic. :biggrin:
drifting.jpg

Those are some great shots. I have no suggestions to make them better.

Those are some great shots. I have no suggestions to make them better.
He always told me the Key to great shots is taking the time and looking through the lens at whats going to be in the picture. He also does croping, removing un-wanted stuff out of the background that couldn't be avoided while taking the shot. Ever since he told me to look at everything around the object while looking through the lens I have taken better pictures. I along with most people just normally point, snap without paying attention to whats being included in the picture.

Cool thread!

Tip number one dont allow a chick on the top of ur hood! No matter how good looking she is.

You know, I wanna contribute an opinion on chicks-with-cars pics - not that I'm an expert or anything, but I've looked at a few ;)

The thing I see the most that bugs me TO NO END is when the girls look uncomfortable posing. Cars are completely inanimate, but the human face is so remarkably expressive and instantly recognizable that the slightest amount of awkardness or discomfort immediately draws the eye away from all the good stuff in the pic (car, the girl's body or outfit, etc.) The brain takes a fraction of a second to sense emotion, and before you even get a chance to take in the whole pic, you get a gut feeling that the model is not happy. It kills what often could have been a good photo.

I feel like this comes out the most with non-pro models, who might feel awkward or shy, or with any girl who is either being asked to pose in an uncomfortable position, or is leaning on a hot car. They might even be smiling, but contorting their bodies or tensing themselves to hold that bad pose, which totally shows.

The best pics without a doubt are when the girl seems really comfortable with the camera and the car, like she's having fun doing the shoot. I don't know about you guys, but to me those differences are clear as day. I noticed this while browsing the babes-with-Buicks thread, there are plenty examples of both in there.

Whut, thanks for the post, I learned a lot here!

Scot, your car looks like a diecast model in those pics with the background blurred. Almost like it is too perfect! I love those pics!

Man these are some of the best GN pics. I've seen! Very helpful post! I try to get these kinds of shots too. Angles and backgrounds make all the difference in the world. Thanks for the tips!
KID

Attachments

• 2010 Bee 1.JPG
    2010 Bee 1.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 404
  • 2010 bee 2.JPG
    2010 bee 2.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 398
  • TTA 9 12 10.JPG
    TTA 9 12 10.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 399