a T-Type is NOT a Grand National

garyk1970

Electronics Moderator
Staff member
hello everyone,i might make alot of people mad but your t-type is not a grand national.i would like everyones opinion and facts concerning the right names for our turbo regals.
its funny,but you never hear the term turbo regal,but that is what every one of our cars are.im tired of hearing someone(mostly on ebay)call their t a gn or vise virsa,t's,gn's,gnx's, are all their own.these are the correct names, i think of the basic three different styles of turbo regals.
1) buick regal t-type (later on 87,turbo t)
2)buick regal grand national
3)buick regal grand national gnx
im mostly refering to cars 84-87.
these cars share diffrerent options packages,but same platform and drive train,some turbo regals are more rare that others.i read a post here and it got me thinking on this topic.i know ebayers use the wrong names to pull everyone to look at their car,but this incorrect naming of these car is everywhere.i own an Grand National and i love ALL turbo regals,but people wonder why their T doesnt bring the $$ as an GN,its because its not an GN!we have to reconize that the GN's got us where we are today as far as public reconition.im not trying to offend anyone,just trying to clear up some confusion.just my two cents.
so how can you tell the difference between a t and gn?you cant say black paint/trim because t w/we4 has that,
look for gn chrome wheels,black carpet,t's didnt come from factory with them.but with these cars over twenty years old now,look out for mods to chang its apperance.
again, my 2 cents,
Gary

your right, but who cares?

there all turbo buicks, if you think your being slighted cause someone is using the incorrect terminology, I have no idea what you can do,
I have a t type, and a We4, if I try to explain to the uninformed what they are ,all I get is a blank look, so its easier to just say GN,
as you said , they all have the same drive train, ( or did have)
its just my 2 cents, no offense, just I have more things to concern myself with.
good luck
cruzn57

Everything you said is already well known around here, all you are going to do with this is make a bunch of old people mad. :biggrin: seriously though, I like the Ts because they are comfortable and a lot more rare than a GN. I think that if more people actually knew what a Turbo T or Ttype, not a "fake GN", I think we would see them bring just as much money if not more than a GN, maybe that sounds stupid to some people but thats just what I think.

The only reason you are seeing that on eBay is because people tend to search for the word "Grand National" and most folks don't even know anything about T types and how the parts and cars are just about the same other then options. So it gets folks with a T some more hits and lookers for their auction that way. That's why someone selling a T type will put "GN, Grand National, GNX, T type" in their description. I love T's but other then people that are in the "know" about these cars think they are some regular Buick regal that someone painted and put a turbo hood on. :eek:

Atleast some T's aren't called Monte Carlos! :eek: Anybody with a GN knows what I'm talking about.

Hey, take it easy, I'm new around here, and I am also one of those "old" folk.
But just to set the record straight, anybody can call my turbo-T whatever they want to call it. And as far as E-bay is concerned, did you ever stop to think that people on E-bay, or people selling a car in general want everybody else to think that they are not very knowledgeable about what they are selling. When you read the E-bay ads, ever get the feeling that the seller knows a lot more about the car than he is letting on. Come on, all these people selling Turbo Buicks just aren't as lame as they pretend to be. And some of us turbo Buick people need to get much thicker skin quickly, it seems. If you have that thin of skin, a turbo Buick is probably not the car for you.

View.aspx

Who cares?

You really want to see people get aggravated, listen to SRT-4 guys violently argue that their cars are not Neons :D

Welby said:
You really want to see people get aggravated, listen to SRT-4 guys violently argue that their cars are not Neons :D

you just gave me a great idea!!

Like I said in another post...
Gn's are a dime a dozen,cops love them and birds **** on em,and they sux to keep clean

White T and T Types are the shizznit.....
you can lock this thread ,there is nothing further to be said.......... ;) ;)

I agree with cruzn57. When I mention my TR in general conversations I get the blank stare. I just say It is just like a GN but not black. That will usually get the discussion going again.

garyk1970 said:
im tired of hearing someone(mostly on ebay)call their t a gn or vise virsa,t's,gn's,gnx's, are all their own.these are the correct names, i think of the basic three different styles of turbo regals.
1) buick regal t-type (later on 87,turbo t)
2)buick regal grand national
3)buick regal grand national gnx
Gary

Correct, the reason cars on ebay are LISTED as grand nationals is because there is not a section for the turbo regals. People list them as GNs and usually in the description they mention that the car isnt a GN, just a plain Turbo regal.

Nice comments

BW

hrhoward said:
I agree with cruzn57. When I mention my TR in general conversations I get the blank stare. I just say It is just like a GN but not black. That will usually get the discussion going again.
i totally do the same thing

im not trying to teach you guys anything new.. :biggrin: i agree with "wells" that sellers are playing stupid...
forgive me for ruffling feathers a was thinking out loud....
i remember gns when i was sixteen, not T's, i guess thats why they left the impression on me... :rolleyes:

BandAid said:
Like I said in another post...
Gn's are a dime a dozen,cops love them and birds **** on em,and they sux to keep clean

White T and T Types are the shizznit.....
you can lock this thread ,there is nothing further to be said.......... ;) ;)

DAMN STRAIGHT!!! :cool: