AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!! cooling problem HELP PEASE

drive805

before i go bald someone please help!! motor rebuilt aprox. 3k miles...when done got new rad,pump,160 stat,cap all new hoses..anyways ran a little warm 190-200 but it was hot days
now for the problem.......got to work the other day and water was flowing out of the overflow wasn't running hot until the water got low of course.... cooled it down checked for leaks and stuff all seemed fine started idled for 20 minutes nothing drove home same thinghappened water just flowed out of the overflow thought it might be a stuck thermostat so changed it drove for a bit no problem went to work today and same thing overflowing out of the over flow.... changed the rad.cap and drove home not gettign hot or overheating but stillpushing water out the overflow no water in the oil and pressure checked the rad holds pressure for about 15 minutes then drops a little very slowlywhen water is being pushed back into the overflow looks like little bubbles in the overflow help pleasegoing crazy with this car...sorry it's so long anyone help the fan is working fine and i put my finger in the water in the overflow and its warm not hot

put my finger in the water in the overflow and its warm not hot

Sounds like you have air pockets in your system. Let the car idle with the cap off for a while and you will notice the water spitting out the radiator. Once the thermostat opens keep add water. Repeat this until it stops spitting water out. Close your cap and make sure your overflow is at the right level.

The best way to prevent air locks in the system is to drill a small hole in the thermostat. 1/16" works well.

There is one more thing that maybe is causing the problem.
Don't like to use the "HG" word. If it is blown (into the water) it could be causing the bubbles.
Not saying this is your problem, just could be.
If you use an emmission sniffer over the open radiator (or a chemical tester) you will know for sure.

I hope it is just air pockets.

Gary

This may be a dumb question by now, but is your cooling fan working properly? If you aren't sure, you should check that situation out too.

how to check for headgasket??

i thought that a blown headgasket would mean water in the oil and there is none....its not getting hot its just forcing the water out of the overflow.... how could i check for a blown head gasket???? the fan is working correctly comes on at 170* goes off when the temp goes to 165*......and how could i blow a headgasket when i haven't put any boost to speak of to it ..highest boost since rebuild 15lbs i guess anything could happen but let me know will check it out and let you know thanks

Make sure that the fan is pulling air through the radiator, not pushing air against it. It would make a big difference in cooling.

You can buy a kit from Snap-on , Mac Tools, or Carquest, and probably Napa to check the radiator for combustion gases that would indicate a blown head gasket. If i remember right the kit is about $40.00 .