Accel Gen7 Starting Problem

csjta2

Having a starting problem with Gen7, thought maybe I could get some suggestions. The car starts like it has alot of timing, like it's way advanced. With car running, Gen7 says 30 degrees and balancer says 30 degrees. I have the whole timing table set at 30 degrees. It's like it only gets extra advance on startup. I have looked the file over and over, and can't find any mistakes. What am I missing? 406 Smal Block Chevy, Gen7, MSD Distributor with pickup in the distributor.

You need to put down the timing to about 15 d in the first column and maybe even the second, depend on what values you have for rpm (0-500) rpm of the timing map, and see if that helps.

Norbs I have tried that, it does nothing for my starting problem. You can jump in the car, hit the ignition, the motor starts cranking fine, and then it's like the Accel see's the crank sensor and then it's like it has 50 degrees timing, hope you understand my explanation. I thought I might have a bad ground for the starter/battery circuit, redid all those yesterday welding the grounds to the chassis, no difference. So I pretty sure it's not a ground problem, it's something in the Accel that I can't see.

There is a function that does exactly what you are talking about, but I don't recall what it is called. I'll look at that when I have time and tell you what I found.

Craig, that would be great! You have helped me before with my FAST, I had to make a new sigin name here because my emaill addy had change and I didn't update it. But when I first went to my Fast setup, you were a great help. This is my brothers car with the Gen7, it's new to me, but still fuel injection. I know there is something I'm missing, just can't find it yet.

Glad I have been helpful to you!

The item you are looking for is called the startup term. It's under the ignition menu in CalMap. It adds a bunch of timing right after startup to help burn off the starting fuel and quickly ramps it out. If it's set too high or the RPM threshold for it is too low, it can create a hard start condition.

Not sure if you can access this one or not without a Pro Key.

Craig, Thank You!! Removed some of the Start Up Term, starts like it should now. This sytem has alot of ignition controls, which I'm still learning. Time to hit the track, not many more dates left here, but hopefully we can't get to one of them.