Actual timing numbers with boost

srt4

I'm not asking what timing numbers I should run, I've seen all the blanketed answers (every car needs something different)
I'm looking for what your actually running, Iron heads or aluminum and any other factors you feel effect your timing . I think I'm being conservative. I'm pulling a little timing where I'm guessing peak tq is and bringing it back in.

Last edited:
Do you have a egt probe ? I think you would be surprised what runing that low of Timing does to your EGTs . I melted a turbine wheel when I first started runing E85 becuse of runing Low Timing numbers . With e85 it needs the timing to completely burn . I found with e85 to lower your EGTs you need to raise the timing un like gasoline .

My head gasket disagrees with you.

I was hoping some people might want to share there combo and create some real data but 60 views and zero response of anything on topic says otherwise.
You should pay close attention to what forcefed said he has his combos nailed down and uses e85.

My head gasket disagrees with you.

I was hoping some people might want to share there combo and create some real data but 60 views and zero response of anything on topic says otherwise.
Well instead of asking about timing with other combos that will be very little help to you, what is your combo, AFR, and kind of headgasket did you blow?

(every car needs something different)
This is a very true statement that doesn't help you,but it is informative. You haven't given any details about your engine that would allow us to give you an educated guess. Even if we gave you an educated guess,it wouldn't be based on the truth. It's the truth that you need to know,so you need to communicate with someone who knows the truth. No matter what type of fuel you are using,flame burn rate will increase as cylinder pressure rises. Compression ratio and boost effect this the most. More cylinder pressure and or boost,less advance is needed. Ethanol is a fuel that is resistant to detonation yet has a faster burn rate than gasoline. This is strange because one of the major reasons that high octane gasoline is resistant to detonation is because of its slow burn rate. Because of the faster burn rate of ethanol your engine will require less spark advance than gasoline. This information helps you to understand what is going on in the combustion chamber when compression,and boost goes up,but it still doesn't provide you with the truth you need to know. Making sure that your computer knows the actual spark advance is also of know help to you because you don't need to make sure that your timing number matches what the computer thinks. You need to know the truth about what your engine needs. Again,you need to ask the people who know the truth. Who are these people? These people are your spark plugs. They are incapable of telling you lies. They always and only tell the truth. Another set of data that would be nice to know are the individual exhaust gas temps. If you gather this data,you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.

Do you have a egt probe ? I think you would be surprised what runing that low of Timing does to your EGTs . I melted a turbine wheel when I first started runing E85 becuse of runing Low Timing numbers . With e85 it needs the timing to completely burn . I found with e85 to lower your EGTs you need to raise the timing un like gasoline .
I Don't have EGT probe, but totally agree with what your saying.

Well instead of asking about timing with other combos that will be very little help to you, what is your combo, AFR, and kind of headgasket did you blow?
I'm not overly worried about my head gasket, this engine has been detonated when it was gas, probably took a beating and was due. I was more intrested what others have their setup. Yes every combo is different, but not that diffrent, assuming were not talking stage motors.

I Don't have EGT probe, but totally agree with what your saying.
I'm talking about monitoring egts of each cylinder. I don't see the need for 1 egt probe at all,but it would be nice to monitor all cylinders to equalize them. You can only run timing,boost,and a/f ratio that the leanest cylinder will tolerate. The rest of the cylinders will produce less power than they would if they all received the same amount of air. You shouldn't need to retard timing as far as you are.

I'm talking about monitoring egts of each cylinder. I don't see the need for 1 egt probe at all,but it would be nice to monitor all cylinders to equalize them. You can only run timing,boost,and a/f ratio that the leanest cylinder will tolerate. The rest of the cylinders will produce less power than they would if they all received the same amount of air. You shouldn't need to retard timing as far as you are.
That's why I haven't done it yet $$$. The airflow from what I read isn't very well distributed in a buick.