Adding a supercharger to a 3.8

DRTHVDR

Use the Fork!
A friend of mine has a mid 90's Regal with a 3800. I want to know if it's possible to bolt on a factory supercharger off a GTP. What extra parts will be needed? Can it be done.

Originally posted by DRTHVDR
A friend of mine has a mid 90's Regal with a 3800. I want to know if it's possible to bolt on a factory supercharger off a GTP. What extra parts will be needed? Can it be done.

Right from the start I wouldn't recommend it. The bottom end of a SC engine is much stronger and built for such a system. If you did however want to the very first thing you would have to decide it which blower you actually wanted to use. A GTP blower for example uses different heads along with the SC. the fuel injectors are actually mounted into a boss on the heads. The compression chamber size of the heads are different. The injectors you currently have would most likely be undersized for the new CFM you would be flowing. Then you have the computer to tend to the new found air and fuel needed. And this being you can keep the tranny together under a SC engine application. The torque from this setup kills transaxle tranny's, even in the new GTP's. I have killed 3 personally...all under warranty thank god. A very Very VERY large tranny cool is you Only hope for this. Just my 2 cents and a few things to consider.

I have a similar question - I own a 1989 LeSabre T-Type and I want to add a turbo/sc to it. Is it possible and if so, what should I beef up to handle the extra power?:confused:

If you can get your hands on a SC3800 drivetrain from a GTP, I would recommend it. It should bolt right up, as I believe the mounting locations on a 4t60 and 4t65e are the same.

check out www.luminasupercharged.com for info on the swap. I bet a Lesabe T would fly with that engine combo, from looks I bet that car is lighter than a GTP.

Thanks for the info! My car already smokes the rice-rockets, but this would be much more fun. I'll update ya'll on my progress. A LeSabre T-Type should benefit more because of the special GT suspension (lighter and stronger).

I like those cars a lot. A friend of mine has 3 of them, everytime I see them I offer him less money for them. He still isn't biting though, I don't get it :D

I love my car. I never see it in other hands, though, always the 4dr LeSabres or the Park Avenues - only 10-12 thousand were made. Interestingly enough, my dad, my friend and myself all had silver T-Types at one point, one from each year. No one knows about them, or make snap judgements because it is a Buick. Who cares what they think though... the only car I might trade it for is a GN.

EDIT: If it isn't too much trouble, could you get me a picture of your friend's cars? I'm trying to keep a library of T-type pitcures.

I've been a member of that for a while now... aren't you the admin? I go by the alias "Beck" - you're "T" right?

It's funny that this post turned into questions about the LeSabre T. Since posting originally, I have found a mint LeSabre T that I'm in the process of buying for my wife. It's black and will be a very nice compliment to our 86 GN. I don't think I'll be supercharging it soon. Question: What is a completely restored ( ground up including paint & suspension ) 88 LeSabre T with 121,000 miles worth. This car is showroom quality inside & out.

Sadly, the blue book lists that car for $5000 - a restored one could probably fetch about $8k. If you want a fairly rare ride that gets a few looks and is good on gas, you can't go wrong. If you need help on what to look for before you buy it, go to the link afore mentioned by T-Keith. Due to it's uncommonality, the LeSabre T-Type should go up in value; definately a keeper.