You can type here any text you want

Adjustable Pushrods?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

19GN8T7

Hello All,
Just purchased a 87GN and was concerned with the lifter noise when running. The gent I bought it from said they need adjusting. I was under the impression that they were not adjustable but after removing the valve covers I found that the pushrods were of the adjustable type. I dont know anything about the internals of this engine (upgrades). Ok so whats the easiest way to adjust these. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Chris, :confused:

I guess it is possible they can get loose but I think most likely it is either wear ie: cam, tappets or the actual pushrods. I know that you can buy adjustables for V-twins that have a adjustment procedure but not sure if I want to apply that to this engine. Could be an expensive adjustment if you do it wrong.

I thought the adjustable push rods were only used to get the correct measurement to order the proper size push rods?

D

I thought the adjustable push rods were only used to get the correct measurement to order the proper size push rods?

D

I used them 3 seasons & so did 2 friends. Locktite them & they stay Tight! Just a lil bit heavier but for a regular driver they are fine. Otherwise take one & measure to get custom made. $100 to your door in many thickness etc etc. Smith Brothers has them made in 2 days.

Ok,
I knew someone out there used them. What is the best way to measure for the correct length? Is a preload required? I was going to pull them all out and measure and see which one or ones may be off from the others and then adjust all the same. Will that work? Thoughts please!

Full throttle a vendor of this site sells a measuring tool. they also sell push rods.

Torques

Chadly,
Ok I figured I can use my adjustable pushrods to measure the length. Can someone give me the torque value of the rocker assy. bolts for install? Also I guess make sure that the exhaust and intake valves are closed when setting the length would be the trick? Do I need to gap them at all? I know alot of questions but appreciate the help. Need to get her on the road and last thing I want is a noisey engine LOL.

Since you've got the adjustable ones you can send them to whoever you're going to get the rods from and they can take the measuremnts from there.

38-42 Ft Lbs for the rockers according the the powersource book.

Torqued

Ok,
Appreciate the info. I am planning on keeping the adjustable pushrods since I won't be taking the engine apart at this time to see how much of a build was done to it. I am going to pull all the pushrods out and measure them and adjust all of them equally to the measured precentage.

Another thing I need to know is why would the front swaybar be removed? What advantage would this have on the track?

Ok,
Appreciate the info. I am planning on keeping the adjustable pushrods since I won't be taking the engine apart at this time to see how much of a build was done to it. I am going to pull all the pushrods out and measure them and adjust all of them equally to the measured precentage.

Another thing I need to know is why would the front swaybar be removed? What advantage would this have on the track?

Lots do it to save weight and weight transfer
The story goes that the front end would come up faster with out one.
i have never done it but it sounds good

Lots do it to save weight and weight transfer
The story goes that the front end would come up faster with out one.
i have never done it but it sounds good

That's not it. It's supposed to let the car twist a little more, further planting the rear end down, allowing it to get a little more traction. Though, unless you're at the track, with vht on it, and you're trying to net a really decent time, I think it's a waste. The car drives like a boat anchor without one.

That's not it. It's supposed to let the car twist a little more, further planting the rear end down, allowing it to get a little more traction. Though, unless you're at the track, with vht on it, and you're trying to net a really decent time, I think it's a waste. The car drives like a boat anchor without one.

i have never heard of wanting to twist the car on purpose to gain traction.
i guess you/me learn something new every day.
thanks.

Ok,
That seems to make sense. Less ridgid the car is the more foot print it has during a launch. Anyway after Cecil I decided to motivate myself before it got to cold. Took #1 cyl. to TDC and checked the pushrods. The valves were closed and the left pushrod I could push up and down with no effort versus the right. I believe that I may have some colapsed lifters. I am going to check them all when I get another hand. My feeling is that the intake will have to be pulled and replace lifters, chain and cam. What stinks is with no documentation of a prior rebuild I am not sure what cam to go with other than whats already in there.

Back