You can type here any text you want

advice on changing O2 sensor

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I just ordered a new O2 sensor from Johns Performance and wanted to get advice on best method to replace. Is there a special tool that I should purchase for this? Not sure if I can get a wrench on it...I figured I would ask those that have already performed this function... Will I have to soak the old sensor with WD-40 to get it loose? Any pointers/help is appreciated.

No special tools needed. Take off the turbo shield....4 bolts.

Unplug the O2 sensor connector. One wire...usually hidden under the up-pipe.

All it takes is a 7/8" open end (spanner) wrench to get the sensor off. Those special O2 sensor sockets are too big to fit under the turbo.

It's usually easier to do this when the engine is a bit warm. Depending on how long the old sensor has been in there it may take some "muscle" to get it loose. A shot of penetrating oil couldn't hurt....AeroKroil is my favorite.

When you get the old one out, be sure that the new one has some anti-seize on the threads.

No big deal....and you CAN reach it from the top. I just put in a heated O2 kit this weekend.

Good Luck,
John

When you get your anti- sieze material try to find "Permatex" brand with NICKEL in it. We have tested all kinds of this type of material and have never had a problem changing any part that was exposed to extreme temperatures when we used this. Turbota

Thanks guys for your help with this.

It was as easy as you had mentioned it would be. Once the Turbo Shield came off it was easy access. I notice a slight difference in warmup, idle and cruise/WOT. Guess my O2 sensor was giving false readings...but not to the point of failure to set off any codes.

The car was wasting a lot of gass and the exhaust was "fumey"...now the exhaust smells cleaner (running same brand gas). This weekend we will see if the gass mileage gets any better...I am putting money on it that it will.

Thnx

DM

OKturbo, Your are my hero

Nobody else knows about aerokroil and how well it works. I love you Man for spreading the news!!!!!!!!!!!

Back