Aeromotive a1000 pump failure

seeyabye

My nearly new Aeromotive A1000 pump has failed. It still runs but it extremely noisy and intermittently produces pressure. Has anybody else had problems with these pumps? I need another pump, but hate to put another a1000 on it and run into the same problem. Did I just get a bad pump? Do I need to use one of their fuel pump controllers? Should I look for a different brand?

It is set up on a sumped tank. The pump is about a year old, but has only about 500 miles on it.

Here is a picture of where it is mounted:

Attachments

• 07-23-09_1136.jpg
    07-23-09_1136.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 395
Only thing that I see is your sump is lower than the pump. Those pumps don't like pulling fuel. I've seen a few go bad just from that. Are the correct fliters on the inlet side? If you mix the pre and post filter up that'll cause the pump to strain itself also.

you should get one of their controllers for the street. I believe that it is tied in with TPS voltage or RPM and will decrease voltage to the pump for street driving. Lots easier on pump

I originally wanted to mount the pump on the frame rail out of sight, but put it there because I know that these pumps won't pull fuel. To make it lower than the sump, it would have to be on a creeper. The pre and post pump filters are in the correct locations and facing the right direction. I just ordered another one, the controller, and both filters. There goes another $700 to my money pit.

Did you check the filter?

Also check power at the pump. Use the ground terminal on the pump for your grounding point. Maybe something is up with the voltage.

I have been running one for a while now. No problems.

The location of your pump is fine. I have had my paxton pump(same as yours just older) mounted about the same level as yours with no problem for years. I dont even have prefilter!!:eek: My pump has never given my any trouble. Does your fuel have any ethanol in it? I have heard the Aero pumps dont like that. I would contact Aeromotive and see what they can do for you. Check your filters though. No contoller is needed for this pump. Hope this helps. Jeremy

Maybe this statement is none of my buisness, but that set up looks pretty dangerous hanging out there with no protection. Wouldn't take much of a hit from behind. It looks cool though.

The filters look good, I checked for voltage at the pump and it is getting 13.5 volts. The pump has never seen ethanol. I think the only way that it would be a safety concern is if I get plowed into by a Suburban, but then I would have some other problems too. Oh well, gotta die somehow, at least this way I'll go down in flames.

Speaking of flames......we did have one of those pumps start on fire on a highway trip, wiring got quite hot. The pump was mounted near the spare tire well inside the trunk though. No controller was used which was the biggest mistake.

I have never noticed this pump getting that hot. Even after driving the car 40 miles home, you can put your hand on it and it is only warm, say 120 degrees.

A overheated pump would suguest a bad ground. Mine never gets that hot. I drive it all over the place.

Shouldnt the feed to the pump be larger diameter? like a -10. Looks like -6 which could starve the pump.

I know the pressure side doesnt matter and -6 is fine on that one.

Am I off?

Shouldnt the feed to the pump be larger diameter? like a -10. Looks like -6 which could starve the pump.

I know the pressure side doesnt matter and -6 is fine on that one.

Am I off?

They are the lines and fittings that came with the pump. I bought everything as a kit: pump, lines, filters, fittings, regulators, etc.

Here is the deal. Somehow, the fuel line going into the pump got filled completely with rtv silicone. The pump was apparently pulling fuel past this tremendous blockage. No wonder the pump is noisy and not producing pressure! I removed the pump to replace it and noticed that no gas was coming out of the -10 feed line with a full tank. After removing the blockage and replacing the 100 micron filter, I reinstalled the original pump to see if it still works. It works fine. Nice and quiet, plenty of pressure. So now I apparently have a spare a1000 fuel pump. Good thing for the prefilter. Here are some pics:

Attachments

• 07-28-09_0754.jpg
    07-28-09_0754.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 190
  • 07-28-09_0756.jpg
    07-28-09_0756.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 198
  • 07-28-09_0757.jpg
    07-28-09_0757.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 204
where in your fuel system did you use orange silicone???
There should be no silicone used anywhere on the tank,lines,fittings,etc..