After 5 year hiatus....back together and no start

IowaGN

So after a five year hiatus, I finally got my GN back together. I went from a nicely built engine with SFI FAST to selling that to fund a stage project that got aborted 2 years ago, to just saying the hell with it and putting a nice stocker back in it to drive. So, today I got it all buttoned up, got good oil pressure, good fuel pressure at the rail, fresh battery, and turned the key hoping for the best. It was not to be. I get crank and no fire. I have no spark, and from what I can tell, no fuel either. I borrowed an old OTC 2000 from a buddy, and it says I have a code 31, 41 and 42. I have no idea where to even begin diagnosing this. It's been 5 years so I've kinda forgotten most of what I remember about these cars. So Buick believers, where do I begin? I would like to get this thing running sometime this year:biggrin:

I'm wondering if I didn't miss something when I took the FAST harness off.....

t.

Is the crank sensor in the right groove? The reluctor ring should be in the groove farthest from the connector.

Orange ECM wire by the battery plugged together?

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Whe you go from a FAST to a stock ecm, you have to resplice two connections. One is the MAF and the other is the injector B+.

Typically the MAF is jumped by the ecm, but this depends who installed it. The Injector B+ is typically spliced behind the injector harness.

Guess you eed to dig through the haress and make sure all is OEM.

HTH

Good sources of info for all my issues :)

Is there any way to tell if the cam sensor cap is the bad part itself?

t.

Ok, update. Due to me having some rectal-cranial inversion problems while assembling the engine, I made a somewhat important discovery this a.m. while beginning troubleshooting. It would appear that when installing the crank sensor, it makes sense to check the positioning of the slots that you use. Helps even more if you have the right one on the pulley. That being said, now instead of having just free cranking, I actually get something that sounds like an engine at least attempting to fire. At the same time, I had to borrow a chip for the MSD 50's, and it has some damn theft thingy on it and I have no clue the sequence for startup. Would that make it sound like a BBC with too much timing while cranking?

t.

You might want to check that your plug wires are correct. Ive done that 2 times in a row. Sounds really nasty if you get it to fire up.