You can type here any text you want

Aftermarket ignition systems/disty opinions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Very good points and ideas guys.

I like our stock system.. it does do well.

If I were heads up racing and wanting a consistant launch the 2step would have to
work correctly. I love the way the TSM guy's have been able to bring it up on the turbo quickly and launch hard. Alot of them use a distbtr.
Talked to one guy there with coil pack and he had no problems with rev-limiter.
None of them really want to talk about their setups as it's a competitive class.
The coil on plug would be nice upgrade. Wish there were a kit ready.
Anyone acutally done it?
~Scott

IIRC Bruce had a LS1 coil set up running via an eDist. Had a picture or two of it on his web site.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Here is a picture of a a prototype housing that is on my CNC machine now. This is for our LS1 coil system that we will hopefully have at the TB.com nationals to show and maybe sell. It runs now just needs refinment and final packaging. The main reason to get rid of wastespark is to maintain sync for a 2 step, the other is to get all the plugs to fire in the same direction. It has a very small if any impact on power. Buick CHOSE wastespark for the indy car program, they could have just as easily used sequential. Since we want a 2 step our unit will not use wastespark. It will have a USB conntector in in for programing / firmware updates. I plan to have valve covers with coil mounting bosses and plug wires available as well.
Mike

Attachments

• DSC01682.jpg
    DSC01682.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 229
That'll be really Awsome Mike.. Please keep us up to date with your progress and approximate cost!
~Scott

Thanks, we will. FYI this will work on the stock ECM as well as the FAST or BS3
Mike

Need someone to do some Beta Testing/Sales&Show for your product? :)

The coils would look good on my valve covers.!
DSC09752.sized.jpg

It should be clarified that 2-step rev control is possible with the right wastespark control system. Just not the stock GN wastespark control system.

The coil setup, wastespark, distributor, not distributor, polarity of the plugs is not the reason 2-step doesn't work with the stock ICU. It is how the stock ICU maintains sync with the crank, controls dwell time and the firing of the coils. The coils are not the problem!

I guess I'll have to get a video together showing my engine on the 2-step,... with WASTESPARK ignition!

Don is 100% correct, I should have been clear on that, the stock ignition setup is the one that has sync problems with waste spark, not waste spark in general.
Mike

Question

So the biggest reason to running an aftermarket system is the ability of a 2 step and more accurate timing,correct?:confused:The MSD sytem that locates under our stock module and has an external box(I think I saw this on Jason Cramers car)is this a good upgrade to stock vs a full blown aftermarket system.:confused:This and the other post on ignition systems are very good reading,thanks to all.

Msd

The MSD type system part#62152 Dis 4 and part#8878interface module and harness.How does this compare to the accell or fast type systems.Thanks for the input,I am new to the Turbo buick and this is a great forum :biggrin:

Back