You can type here any text you want

Aftermarket maf/translator vs stock set up set up

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I guess our street build GN's with stock turbo, heads, flat tappet cam and MAF that will pull more than 400 RWHP should all be scrapped, and the owners should spend lots more $$$$ to get to a power level they will never use?

Yes, a 3" LS MAF will flow more than a stock one, but the engine needs to be a WOT for a few seconds to realize any gain in air flow or HP, and this rarely happens on the street.

With all the new high tech "gadgets" now available for instant HP, the concept of building a GN to specific performance levels by matching compatible parts for the best and most cost-efficient combination is no longer valid I would think?

I cannot count over the years how many TR's we have built, tuned, repaired and dealt with from stock to 7 sec. builds over the past 20+ years, usually 3-5 cars that are always in process and others waiting to come in for service, and every build is specific to the customer's requirements and budget based upon experience, not opinions.

Everyone has an opinion, here's mine...No stock mafs, the ability for the Gen 2 to read 3x the air than stock maf, wideband correction @ wot, timing adjustments so I don't have to change chips, I'll go with the Translator. Now mind you I am only on my 2nd GM maf before I got the GEN 2. I built my own engine and do 99% of work myself and I really didn't wanna spend the $'s, but it is a great step up. Stock turbo car, only if the maf crapped then I would use the basic translator.

Last edited:
I am in the process of converting over to a LS maf and translator. Mine is stock turbo, and mostly stock everything else. Do I need it for the level of my car? No. But at the track earlier this year I had 2 runs that had glitches from 255 down to 22 at WOT. 2 more trips to the track no problem on any runs. I don't want to have any questions on if it is or is not working. Peace of mind for me.

The basic translator will just convert the LS maf signal so the ecm can understand it and the ecm is actually the limit on this as it only reads 0-5v from maf.

the basic translator can be set to do the extended MAF range, but you need the matching chip for it to work. (same as the Gen-2)

But for a stock-turbo / stock-engine car, its not necessary.

The Gen-2 adds a lot of fine-tune ability, wideband tracking, logging (if you want), aux trigger output, etc. So it is a bit of a step up from the basic translator.

Bob

Back