Air Box Mod

milesengineer2

I've got an 01 GS and want to do the mod to the airbox. I have looked at the pics at REGALGS.org but the pics arent decisive enough for me. It shows cutting a huge hole out of the box but I am not sure which part, front or back casing and whether it was the front or bottom of the casing. Makes sense it would be on the front casing with the hole in the front of it, but not for sure. I am sure you guys know.

Thanks

Lee

I'm sure this is no help but....
I did mine quite some time ago and the pictures I saw were not clear either.

All I can say is once you take it apart it is easy to see what has to be cut.

I used a dremel and wish I used a sawz all instead.

best thing to do is get rid of the box all together and get just an open cone:D

Originally posted by kshef
best thing to do is get rid of the box all together and get just an open cone:D

Don't do that. The cone has to be shielded from the hot eingine air. If you don't keep the engine heat from the air intake you might as well keep the stock box the way it is.

So if you go cone go inner fenderwell or box it out away from the heat.

no way bluto...getting rid of the restriction is the main thing
once the car is moving you are very close to ambient
i would never pay $200 for one of those "CAI"

If you don't keep the engine heat from the air intake you might as well keep the stock box the way it is.
no way

answer me this....you think when you put a CAI or FWI on..you are getting that power from the cold air?????
hell no...its from getting rid of the restriction

answer me this....you think when you put a CAI or FWI on..you are getting that power from the cold air?????
hell no...its from getting rid of the restriction

Yes I know I am getting more power from the cold air, and less restriction.

I think your very wrong on the heat issue. Restriction is the a key factor, but his Regal's airbox is a straight shot to the TB and should only be gutted. Its a straight shot of cold air from behind the headlight.

The heat is an issue. Being a Turbo guy I would think you would know better than most, that engine heat builds up under the hood.

I don't know if you have turbo link or a data loging system, but its a simple experiment to try yourself. Run your car both ways with a data logger and see what the AIT is. It will be much much cooler with a shielded cone vs. a open cone. On the 3.8 the crossover pipe is right in that general area pumping tons of heat into the engine bay. Even if you are cruising your still sucking in engine heat with an open cone.

I would not pay that kind of money for a crappy aftermarket box either. Thats why I gutted my stock airbox.

BTW,
I like your stable. Nice cars:)

ok tell this to the thousands of TR guys in the 10's with open cones under the hood:eek:

my point is these SC 3800 guys buy into all these little gimmicks and blow big $$$
you could run a car with an open cone, cai, fwi, or gutted box and you wouldnt be able to tell a bit of difference in performance...the temp difference isnt that significant....
if you wanted to you could say a CAI box, or gutted box is a restriction...what flows better a boxed in filter or a totally open one
either way...you can't go wrong:D

I guess you can tell all those fast turbo GN guys that have the ATR can that they are goofy and should run a open cone.

It's not a gimmick.

I don't know why you speak for entire 3.8 S/C community but I didn't buy an expensive airbox and you didn't either.

Keep in mind the GN guys are using a FMIC that reduces temps greatly. So maybe a shielded filter won't help them as much as us non I/C cooled S/C guys that rely on any advantage to cool the incoming air charge. Not to mention the GN guys spend plenty of dough on gadgets not (gimmicks) to make their car fast.

Don't forget the sought after GNX has functional heat vents for the engine bay. Hmmm I wonder why. Maybe because there is a significant heat buildup under the hood.

Sorry but you are way off on this. Colder air is very important.
I recall reading somewhere every 10 degree drop in intake temp produces 10 hp.

I will keep searching for cold air and you keep blowing hot air;)

nope many 10-11 sec cars run under the hood cones, without all these other things you are talking about

"once you get into the 11's you stop worry about little things"-Razor

nope many 10-11 sec cars run under the hood cones, without all these other things you are talking about

"once you get into the 11's you stop worry about little things"-Razor

I agree. Once your there that is a minor thing.

Ok, does anyone have any idea where I modify my box? Now that the squabbling is over back to the original topic.

Thanks

Originally posted by milesengineer2
Ok, does anyone have any idea where I modify my box? Now that the squabbling is over back to the original topic.

Thanks

Hey if your an engineer figure it out yourself:D

I can try to take my airbox out and post a few pics of what it looks like gutted. Will that help?

I just can't recall from memory exactly what I hacked out of there.

Check this out:
Gutted box pics

Wow, there for a second I thought this was a Ford website.. :(
At least on those sites you can get help without the insults and most of the time they stay on topic...

Thanks for the link

Originally posted by milesengineer2
Wow, there for a second I thought this was a Ford website.. :(
At least on those sites you can get help without the insults and most of the time they stay on topic...

Thanks for the link

Lighten up Miles. It was obviously a joke (note the little smiley)