Air hose questions

Sal Lubrano

Looking in to a new air hose for my compressor. I see there are two hose diameter sizes. 1/4'' and 3/8''. Both hose sizes come with 1/4'' npt fittings on both ends. What is the benefit of buying the 3/8'' hose if the air has to go through the restrictive fittings on both ends? Would a 1/4" hose be just as good? If, a 3/8'' hose and a 1/4'' leader was used what would happen?

How big is your compressor? 3/8 line will have more volume even if it has 1/4npt fittings. I use the 3/8 line with 3/8 fittings. That really wakes up the air tools:biggrin:

Goodyear hose with high flow fittings.The hose stands up to almost anything.Good luck.:biggrin:

Kevin

I use the 1/4" hoses and fittings for nail guns, staplers etc. Low consumption tools.

I use 3/8" hose with 3/8" high flow fittings for the high consumption tools like the cut off wheels, drills, or impacts etc.

How big is your compressor? 3/8 line will have more volume even if it has 1/4npt fittings. I use the 3/8 line with 3/8 fittings. That really wakes up the air tools:biggrin:

Another big difference is an HVLP gun. With 1/4" fittings and no regulator you can't get the required 23# at the cap. By switching to 3/8" fittings, there's so much more flow you'll need a regulator at the gun to keep from exceeding 23#...

The issue using a 1/4 inch hose is the pressure drop through the hose itself. They say 25 feet of 1/4 inch hose has a 25psi drop. The same hose in 3/8 inch has a 4 psi drop. This is why if you need a long hose you should step up to a 1/2 inch hose. Of coarse it all depends on what your using it for.

Chris